Male and Female? And double breasted?

auringer6

In the Brooder
6 Years
Feb 21, 2013
Here are our turkey's they are about 10/11 weeks old. We bought them at Atwoods, They told us they where normal bronze. ? :( not sure which kind they are. Plus we think we have one male and one female. I am hoping to keep them and breed them for meat birds. But I understand that you can not breed double breasted. Any ideas.

They look like broad-breasted, and by the weight they sound like they are probably broad-breasted as well. A picture of them standing would make it easier because BBBs stand with their very thick legs apart. like a cornish cross chicken.

It does look like a tom and a hen.

Here are our turkey's they are about 10/11 weeks old. We bought them at Atwoods, They told us they where normal bronze. ? :( not sure which kind they are. Plus we think we have one male and one female. I am hoping to keep them and breed them for meat birds. But I understand that you can not breed double breasted. Any ideas.

I THINK when the hens first start laying and the Jake is young they could mate naturally but much past that point the Jake would be too big and then it's AI. But, They don't live for 2 years like the heritage if you don't process them due to heart failure etc.
These look like a tom (or Jake actually) and hen poult BBB. mine are about 5- 1/2 weeks old and the ones I thinkare males have the caruncles ontheir necksalready and a reddishtint to the skin of their head/neck

how much do your's weight right now. My hen is 4lbs and my tom is 6lbs and they are 11-12 weeks old now. The have not gained much this last week. thank you

Last edited:

here are photos of them standing. They are 12 weeks old. And tom weights 6lbs and liz weights 4lbs. I think they are standard. Thanks.

i have never heard of a male turkey being called a jake. I know a male duck is a Drake. But turkey's are called Toms, or hens

Back
Top Bottom