1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Male and Female Mallards?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by monarc23, May 14, 2009.

1. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    Does it look like I got a Drake and a Duck? At first I thought I had a male and a female, then as they feathered they both had the startings of a green head... well now the one that I was a sure was a male is now getting a dark green sheen to his back tail area... where as the one I feel is a hen is staying tan.

[​IMG]

2. chixie

chixie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2009
    kountze texas
    looks like hens to me(not an exert)

3. xfilesnumber1fan

xfilesnumber1fan Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2008
    Missouri
    How old are they? It looks to me that one is a hen and the other drake..The feathers on back look to be getting green...Owner of 9 mallards....

4. monarc23

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    Quote:they are a little bit over a month old if i remember rightly. [​IMG] Yeppers on the back of the males tail area is a mottling of irridecent green coming in. Im so happy you think that too! [​IMG]

5. momof247371

momof247371 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2009
    i have mallards and these both look to be hens to me, BUT, they are still young enough to change color, so time will tell;)

6. monarc23

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    Quote:well would a hen have irridecent green on her back/tail area? Also, only the one that i thikn is a hen quacks (only if she's scared) and the one that I think is a male doesn't. [​IMG]

7. chixie

chixie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2009
    kountze texas
    my hens have a little green on their tails... and I know they are hens because they are both sitting eggs... but yours are still young so maby you have a drake... you will see in the future sorry I couldn't help more

8. Feathered Wings

Feathered Wings Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Georgia
    My sons Males started getting green on their heads and the female did not.
    They all had the green and blue stripe on their wings.

9. xfilesnumber1fan

xfilesnumber1fan Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2008
    Missouri
    My drakes started getting green around the eye when they were 8 weeks..That was my first sign..My females have no greenish on the back feathers and the one looks male also you can see the difference in the color on the beak..My girls have darker beaks than the male his is a little brown and his feet are all orange and the girls have orange legs but the webbing is black...

[​IMG]

10. KinderKorner

KinderKorner Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2009
    Southern Illinois
    It's looks like two girls to me. But if they are young they may change. But I doubt it. Lucky you. I got all drakes right now. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by