1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Male and female percentage on straight run chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by CindyS, Feb 14, 2009.

1. CindyS

CindyS Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2008
    Geneseo, Illinois
    I just talked to someone at an auction who was selling some roosters. He said he had ordered 50 straight run assorted chickens. (From murray mcmurray) He got a good assortment, BUT 48 roosters and 7 hens! No way it was straight run! some deliberate dunking into the rooster trays! I asked him if he complained, he said yes, that they said they had no control over percentages on straight run, yah right!

2. Momma_Cluck

Momma_Cluck Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2008
    N. West Michigan
    That's just wrong!

Ours was a straight run (bantam mix) and we had 7 Roo's and 8 Hens... Not a great ratio-- but to be expected.... but NEVER that high a % of Roo's!!!

3. columbiacritter

columbiacritter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2008
    Scappoose Oregon
    Not the first time I've heard of people being shafted on strt runs from McM

I helped a friend butcher 30 roos from a strt run order of 35 barred rocks. Her sister had almost the same thing happen with Polish the year before.

Someone told me they fill the pullet orders then the strt run from what's left.

4. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    I bought 18 welsummers from Estes Hatchery and with a dozen BAs. The welsummers were straight run and I got 19 of which 6 were cockerals. I've been told you should typical expect about 45% cockerals with most straight runs.

5. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    The usual is 50/50, however that can vary from hatch to hatch and I've seen it here in my own hatches. Sometimes I get lots of girls, other times lots of boys and other times about half and half. There's no rhyme or reason to what hatches it seems. [​IMG]

6. wings

wings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2009
    Massachusetts
    I had twelve chicks straight run. 7 were roosters and 5 were hens. I guess those are pretty good odds, right??? [​IMG]

7. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    I remember a time I did a small BO hatch to raise up some new young pullets for the next season. I hatched 11 babies and 10 of them were roos. [​IMG] Then I heard from a couple folks who say they get high percentages of pullets from my eggs. It's kind of a like a box of chocolates..you never know what you're gonna get. [​IMG]

8. your_pal_skip

your_pal_skip Out Of The Brooder

Feb 7, 2009
    Boise
    I always thought that the sex of the chick was determined by the temperature during incubation. Somebody told me that at the county fair when I was a little kid, and it stuck in my head. Of course now I know that it's only true for reptiles, but it does make you wonder what's going on with 90% cockerel or pullet hatches.

Of course there is this crazy patent: http://www.freepatentsonline.com/5575237.html

The
    gist is that carefully controlled temperature changes during incubation can slightly effect the ratio of females to males, but it's likely that the ratio is changed because one of the genders is more susceptible to being killed by the change in temperature.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by