Male attacking new ducks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Lilki, Oct 1, 2016.

1. Lilki

Lilki Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2016
    How much aggression is normal when introducing young ducks to older ones? We have two 5 month old mallards and two 6 week old welsh harlequins. They've been able to see each other for quite some time. When we let them out together the male mallard is very aggressive, chasing them with his head down and plucking out feathers. We separate them within a minute of this because the new ducks are terrified and we're afraid of them getting hurt.

The mallards are also mating, so I'm sure that's not helping. Is he going to hurt them if he tries to mate?

I'm new to ducks and figured, since they are flock animals, it wouldn't be a problem to introduce new ones. Should I just let them work it out? We can't keep them separated forever but it looks like he's trying to hurt them.

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England

3. Lilki

May 9, 2016
    Thank you so much for the answer. I discovered today that the male is trying to mate with the younger ones. He grabs their feathers and tries to mount them. I've never seen him be so aggressive, (or, really, aggressive at all) with the other mallard. She doesn't really run away though so maybe that's why.

This really bums me out. I don't want them to get hurt. They have to stay in the same pen at night and right now we have both pairs separated. (The new ones are both female.)

Do ducks stop mating when the season is over, or am I going to have to wait six months for them to mature before I can let them all out together?

4. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    You likely will need to wait . Generally, folks have to let the little ones reach adult size especially if there is an aggressive drake. We must protect each member of the flock.

5. Lilki

May 9, 2016
    Are you talking about adult size, or sexual maturity? They're already bigger than the mallards, though I think they still have some growing to do. At what age should they reach adult size?

Thanks again for answering. I really appreciate it. :)

6. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Drakes can be aggressive with new additions....I wait till young Ducks are not peeping and free range while I sit with them....Then you will know if your adding more Drakes to the Flock or Hens...Maturity helps in introducing Chickens or Ducks?

Cheers!

7. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I think by 7 months the Welsh Harlequins will be at least 90% grown. It should be easier for them to stand up for themselves - at the same time, I would not allow an aggressive drake to be around them unsupervised, I don't like to put any of the ducks at risk.

It is often a matter of seeing what the ducks do, and making adjustments. Most of the time, these things get sorted out. Introductions can be the trickiest part of flock management.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by