male attacking new female

bubbastump22

Chirping
7 Years
Sep 16, 2012
madison,fl
i just bought another african goose yesterday for my male so he would have to females ...and when i brought her home she was the sweetest goose ever ...let me say.. when they all met i thought sweet there goin to let her right in with them ...and then when i went out to check on them i knew something was up cause the new female was staying around but away..and then when she would try to come up closer the male would go after her and attack her....i thought it was easier to bring in new females to a flock then bringing in another gander to one..do u guys have any ideas why the male would b going after the new female that way...i talked to efowl.com as well and they dont understand it..maybe i can get better reasons from u guys...

You might have to make an area for the female a pen, so that the others can come by and see her for a bit to get use to her. It is not a good idea to just put them together right off the bat. Your geese need to get use to her before accepting her into the group.

She is a newcomer. Most ganders will accept a second mate especially if their goose is setting. Some are more monogamous and will not take a second mate. Give them time. If he is not injuring her, they will probably work things out.

well thats the thing i bought her because she is sitting and laying already..could it b that she is older then the gander and his female they are bout a year in april they will be a full year...the main reason i bought her was so when the younger female starts to lay that she can show her what 2 do...right now i have her and my young female in the pen together..shes alright with the older female..but still trys to goose her..but shes not attacking her as the male was..even when i would let them all get together while the young female and gander would eat and the older one would try to come over that the young female would goose the gander a couple times to tell him to back off but that didnt really help much..so as of right now its just the to females in the pen together ..i figured since they get along half way decent maybe then he would accept her easier as well..plus having them in the pen together i was hoping that some of her scent would rub off on the older female as well..
........but what is ur thoughts bout that..should i leave the younger female in the pen with the older one or should i just remove her and let them get use to her outside the pen...the good thing is that since i have the young female in with the older one the male will sleep right next to the pen....

update..since i had my younger female in the pen for the last 2 days the male goose is getting along with her.. but as far as today it was great i got rid of there pool and built a small pond 5x5 till next month ... well i gathered up some pine straw to put around the pond and in the pen as well.. well the older goose didnt like the pine straw so much so i gathered up grass from mowing the yard and put in there over top of the straw cause i figured it was to prickly on her bottom ...soon after doing that she went into the pen and started to build a nest which was cool watching her do it...and she has layed her first egg since i have brought her home...on the plus side since she has layed and egg the gander is right next 2 her and protecting her....yayaya me... but the sad thing is that her egg that she layed is not fertile but since hes up at the nest and by her side i hope that i will start to get fertile eggs from her...

update..since i had my younger female in the pen for the last 2 days the male goose is getting along with her.. but as far as today it was great i got rid of there pool and built a small pond 5x5 till next month ... well i gathered up some pine straw to put around the pond and in the pen as well.. well the older goose didnt like the pine straw so much so i gathered up grass from mowing the yard and put in there over top of the straw cause i figured it was to prickly on her bottom ...soon after doing that she went into the pen and started to build a nest which was cool watching her do it...and she has layed her first egg since i have brought her home...on the plus side since she has layed and egg the gander is right next 2 her and protecting her....yayaya me... but the sad thing is that her egg that she layed is not fertile but since hes up at the nest and by her side i hope that i will start to get fertile eggs from her...
Happy to hear things are beginning to work out.

Back
Top Bottom