Male barenaked Silkie Extremely aggressive behavior

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by josjenns, May 2, 2009.

1. josjenns

josjenns New Egg

May 2, 2009
    We have a 1 yr old male barenaked Silkie that has just started to attacked viciously our other females. Last night he completely severed the skin on the back of the neck and head of one of our 2 yr old chickens. Does anyone have experience with this sort of behavior? Is it typical of this breed? We don't want to keep him if this is going to be his personality. Please help. Nursing our wounded.
    Jenn and Fay

2. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

Barenaked Silkie?!?!

You must be referring to a Showgirl, with the naked neck.

Take him out of the flock for a while and seperate him for a few days to a week. This will give the other birds a chance to re-establish the pecking order. Once thats done, reintroduce him to the flock and he'll be low man on the totem pole. It should knock his ego down a few notches.

and...

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 2, 2009
  3. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    Do you mean naked neck? or showgirl?

4. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    I had a young rooster about that age that was very rough and did some damage to hens when he was learning to breed. I kept him in a separated enclosure that I could just open the door, let him learn a bit for ten or fifteen minutes, and then pen him back up separately and after a month or two of that I just let him be with everyone and he was really good. He is now my very favorite rooster.

5. josjenns

josjenns New Egg

May 2, 2009
    First of all, thank you everyone. We are new to the site, unfortunately we had to start this way. We are separating "Fred" who is a Showgirl, and a beautiful one at that. But here's our dilema, we thought Fred was Fiona last year until he showed male behavior. He was a good bird so we kept him, but we aren't looking for chicks. Does it make sense to keep him, if he would re-integrate well, or since he is so showy see if someone is looking for a male? I realize this is not something others can't answer, we need to work it out.

So as for the wounded, Fred removed the skin on the back of her head and neck, its gruesome. We've washed the area, given her antibiotic in her water and put triple antibiotic over the wound. We are watching for infection. She's a great bird and we would hate to lose her. She separated from the other hens. Anyone have suggestions/comments about what else we should do?

Again, thanks so much for the help!
    Jenn

6. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Wish your hen were here... I'd put in a couple of sutures.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by