Male button quail eyes are bloodshot

Discussion in 'Quail' started by dc3085, Mar 22, 2013.

1. dc3085

dc3085 Chillin' With My Peeps

I noticed one of my male button quail who has blue eyes, his eyes have turned red or are very bloodshot.
    In all other ways he appears to be a healthy bird, he eats and drinks, isn't ruffled up like they do when they are sick, and his eyes have been this way for at least a week.

Anyone know what this is?

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    He might have an eye infection in both eyes. You could try some terramycin drops. You can get these on Amazon or a poultry meds supply. What type of bedding are you using? Don't use cedar shavings as they are rough on the lungs and could cause other problems as well.

3. dc3085

Thank you for your time. I will give the drops a try, there is a avian store not far from me hopefully they have it although its more of a parrot place. I keep them on sand so i was wondering if the sand was as "sterile" as promised since I added some recently, although there are five other buttons and 50 or so coturnix who had no problems with the new sand.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2013
  4. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    I would imagine if only one bird is having issues, then it is probably something with this particular bird. I have a chicken that had a similar issue with both of her eyes and none of the others had anything wrong. I used another type of eye drops, antibacterial just the same, and a week or two later her eyes cleared up.

Good luck!

5. dc3085

Thanks for the advice after a few days of the drops the redness is receding

Although I think I've made an enemy for life out of the poor guy.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by