Male call duck and loneliness??

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by jubylives, Oct 24, 2009.

1. jubylives

jubylives Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2007
    Central Iowa
    I lost a duck today. She was a runt so to speak and stayed in the pond too long last night and it got below freezing. So now I'm left with a white male and female that I am going to get rid of and thought about keeping the grey male. He should be ok by himself would he or should I just let him go too? I really like him and want to keep him but his mate died last year and the female I'm left with is too noisy hence why I'm letting her go. Any thoughts?

Jeremy

2. GAChknGirl

GAChknGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2009
    Denver, Illinois
    Yeah send them my way lol

3. jubylives

Mar 23, 2007
    Central Iowa
    what? I'm trying to acertain whether I should give him away too or whether he's be ok to keep by himself. I'd like to keep him but if he is going to be miserable then I'll give him away too.

jeremy

4. veronicasmom

veronicasmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2009
    If you want to be fair, imo, I would let him go too. I don't think ducks do well alone as a general rule. We had a solitary drake for a week and he was frantic being alone. He ran all over looking for his flock, didn't eat well. We got him a girl and he was obviously happier, got him another girl and he was very happy. I really think you should let him go with the others.

5. jubylives

Mar 23, 2007
    Central Iowa
    Ok. I guess I just wanted to hear what I already knew to kind of confirm it. I'm really attached to him but I'd rather he be happy and not miserable. Now to find them a home.

jeremy

6. lem47

lem47 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 12, 2009
    sturgeon bay
    My ducks live with my chickens and do just great,,get it a partner later,however I would put it in with the chickens for now

7. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Any bird or animal that is a flock animal is much happier when they are with creatures of their own kind. I wouldn't keep him by himself....not very fair to him.

8. cheekychick

cheekychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 17, 2008
    Waioneke NZ
    Quote:Well, why dont you keep him & find yourself another adult as company for him?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by