Male Calls Argueing *Need Advice*

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Feathered Wings, Sep 18, 2009.

1. Feathered Wings

Feathered Wings Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Georgia
    Seems like i'm always asking questions here at BYC
    But thats because it's the best site on the web to get advice from great people who have hands on experience in what you need to know.

OKay i have had 2 pairs of grey calls together since i got them 3 months ago thier age is ?(anybody know how to tell the age of a duck)
    They were also together at the breeders house where i bought them.
    Well i have moved them to a larger pen and now one of the males is chasing the other male and biting him in the rear.
    The biter stands with the 2 females while the other stands at a distance not wanting to be bitten.
    They had been molting but are now almost feathered back with their gorgeous little green heads.

Whats up with the tail biting and why did it start?

Is it time to move them into separate pairs?

2. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    A dominant drake will want all the girls for himself.

3. Squirtchy2009

Squirtchy2009 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2009
    Essex
    You have the same ammount as me, i certainly can see tha i have a domanent male, and yes you will have to possiby seperate them or your other option is to buy some more females [​IMG]

4. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Many duck related problems can be solved by this simple method...

"Get more ducks!"

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 18, 2009
  5. goosedragon

goosedragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Central NC
    Quote:

6. Mrs. Turbo

Mrs. Turbo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2009
    ky
    as the weather cools some of the call ducks start mating again and might lay a few eggs......they should still be fine together but there will be a little fighting.

7. Feathered Wings

Oct 9, 2008
    Georgia
    Wow i was told they only mate in the spring [​IMG]
    So they could mate and lay too [​IMG]

Just about the time i think i know anything about my new calls i learn something different.
    I already was in shock when the white pair laid 8 eggs and hatched 7 babys [​IMG]

I guess i should get up and stop procrastinating and get those breeding pens done. [​IMG]

Hey [​IMG] thanks i'm sure there will be more questions hang in there with me i'm new to all this.

8. rainplace

rainplace Interstellar Duck Academy

My two silky drakes did the same thing over the two females. Luckily it started up while I had my four day off period so I could keep an eye on them. They fought it out pretty good with the winner being the older drake, Omar. This made the females do the bob dance all around the him. The loser, Mario, kept trying to get to the females, but Omar would have nothing to do with it and spent a lot of time keeping Mario at the edges of the flock. He even went so far as to kick him out of the duck house. Omar only wanted to mate his girl though and eventually let Mario have the other. Now the four of them run around like they did before, two pairs together.

9. Mojo Chick'n

Mojo Chick'n Empress of Chickenville

Mrs. Turbo :

as the weather cools some of the call ducks start mating again and might lay a few eggs......they should still be fine together but there will be a little fighting.

I'm glad you explained this one, because I had thought they only layed seasonally, and my head hen duck is laying again (and the guys are having little tiffs - nothing serious, just a bit of squabbling).

This is my first year with call ducks (or any ducks, for that matter).

meri​

10. Feathered Wings

Oct 9, 2008
    Georgia
    Mojo Chick'n :

Mrs. Turbo :

I'm glad you explained this one, because I had thought they only layed seasonally, and my head hen duck is laying again (and the guys are having little tiffs - nothing serious, just a bit of squabbling).

This is my first year with call ducks (or any ducks, for that matter).

meri​

I'm with you just clueless about my Calls and i was told too they only breed and laid in the spring.
    I'm going to separate these 2 pairs into breeding pens.
    I had already planned on doing it i just didn't know it would be this soon [​IMG]

Looks like I may have some more babys before winter sets in [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by