1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Male chasing girls

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Dani xxx, Mar 19, 2017.

1. Dani xxx

Dani xxx Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2016
    Farnham common bucks uk
    Hey
    My male has decided it's breeding season and has started chasing my girls which are having none of it and running away 2 girls have hurt themselves by hitting the soft bit at top of their beak. The one that was bleeding I cleaned up and put corn flour on it once not bleeding put her back. All girls are eating sand bathing when he is in the house but when he come out he is chasing them. I'm thinking should I remove him or just stick it out as if I do remove him then put him back he will probably do the same thing again until they corporate he isn't hurting them at all
    I'm having a dilemma?

I'm gonna put some netting up to stop them hurting themselves more

2. givengrove

givengrove Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2017
    Missouri
    First of all, do you have any other roosters or male poultry?

3. Dani xxx

Oct 23, 2016
    Farnham common bucks uk
    I was meant to have girls but one turned out to be a male rust chest no speckles until now he has been lovely no problems but as weather is getting better here in the uk he has suddenly started. I put pictures up in Nov and everyone said that he was a boy here he is, his chest is darker now as this pic was nearly 4 months ago.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 19, 2017
  4. Dani xxx

Oct 23, 2016
    Farnham common bucks uk
    I have put the netting along the top of my run to stop them hurting themselves if they fly up again to get away from him they have hiding places and grasses to hide under which they are doing. I really hope he chills out abit so I can leave them alone

5. givengrove

givengrove Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2017
    Missouri
    They should all be fine if you don't have any other males but you should have at least 3 females per cock. He should settle down once you have enough females.

6. Dani xxx

Oct 23, 2016
    Farnham common bucks uk
    Ok thanks ! x He has 6 girls in there with him I have been keeping an eye on them from the window and only seen them being chased a couple of times since lunchtime so fingers crossed he'll calm down a bit !x

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by