Male chicken and egg color question?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by stormylady, Jan 28, 2009.

1. stormylady

stormylady Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2008
    Illinois
    If you have a male EE and he bred a white egg layer would their chicks possibly lay colored or tinted eggs?, just curious. Thanks so much for the answers in advance.

2. jab91864

jab91864 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2007
    Northern Michigan
    I would expect a tinted egg from their offspring. I know that EE's crossed with brown egg layers give the darker green olive colored eggs typically.

Julie [​IMG]

3. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    It depends on what color egg genes he is carrying.

ETA: White layers carry no color.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2009
  4. stormylady

stormylady Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2008
    Illinois
    OK THANKS SO MUCH!

5. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    So does a white egg layer (since it is no color) tint the resulting eggs or does it have no effect? For example-

blue egg layer x white egg roo= blue egg of same tint ? Or would this result in a lighter blue egg?

Brown egg layer x white egg roo= same or lighter

Is there any difference if you switch genders in those equations? Does the hen influence egg color more than the roo?

6. denasfarm

denasfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2008
    Sweet Home Alabama!!
    About 10 years ago when we got our first chick "White Leghorn" order from MM hatchery they sent an Ameraucana Roo as the surprise chick and YES the resulting crossed hens all laid Green/Blue eggs.
    When crossed with Partirdge rocks I still got brown eggs however.

7. Kev

Kev Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    Some lines of white egg layers have a gene that actively represses any eggshell color so a cross/mix with those would result in much paler eggs. Blue x white with repressor genes= very pale blue eggs. Chalky deposits also obscure the egg color.

Most of the eggshell colors are not sex linked- that includes the gene for blue/green eggs, so it does not matter which parent has what. There have been claims of sex linked egg color genes(especially in Marans) but AFAIK none have been "proven" yet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by