1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Male chicks cry?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Syharrison, Feb 4, 2012.

1. Syharrison

Syharrison Out Of The Brooder

Dec 7, 2011
    first of all i did try "googling" this phrase :-\.
    Shameful results.

anyway i've not been raising chicks long i've had two lots of two two times first two where 1 male and 1 female im adament these are too. when i take her away from him he cries but she isnt bothered, does anyone else find that male chicks cry??

2. does he cry with tears? or screeching type cry?

3. Syharrison

Dec 7, 2011
    lol screetching like, kinda vulgar sound

4. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    I have 2 batches of chicks in 2 separate brooders. 1 brooder holds my sexed pullets, the other holds the packing peanuts that came with them. The sexed pullets hardly make a sound, other then their content little peeps or a loud chirp when they get stepped on by someone else. Some of my packing peanuts are cry babies (the ones that are feathering the slowest) and the others behave just like my girls. I have no idea what they are, but I'm interested to see if my noisemakers/slow growers are boys, or if they all are. Sorry, I'm not much help!

5. indi

indi Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2011
    My six month old roo does that when we move his 'wife' to the other end of the garden, when a pigeon flies overhead or when he is frustrated. I don't know what it is but a hug usually solves it!!

6. Syharrison

Dec 7, 2011
    well my chicks are only a week or so old so i figured if its correct then its a nice way of sexing them early, other people saying the early wing stems on the male chicks are shorter...

7. oh LOL

8. AllenWMiller

AllenWMiller Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2012
    Rural PA
    This is another one of those old timer tales that has some basis in scientific validity. Cockerels instinctively tend to make more noise than pullets as a guarding mechanism pullets on the other hand tend to keep quiet and hide in times of danger. In other words, it is the basis fight or flight instinct; which is why the female is so much smarter than the male!

Good Luck!

JA

9. AuberyMirkwood

AuberyMirkwood Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2011
    Clovis NM
    In my experiance the "cryers" are the dominate chicks. So I can see why a good portion turn out to be male, but my loud chicks that turn out to be female always come out at the top of the totem pole :-D this is something I noticed with my very first btach chicks and it has never failed since.

10. AllenWMiller

AllenWMiller Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2012
    Rural PA
    Yes Aubrey I've observed the same over the decades. Much like people, the loudest usually turn out to be on top don't they?[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by