Male chicks feathering

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by KDailey, Jul 6, 2011.

1. KDailey

KDailey Crazy Cochin Lady

Jun 27, 2011
    Bronson, Tx
    I was wondering, do male chicks get their tail feathers before the females in most cases?

I have 5 chicks. 3 of them are supposed to be cucko marans and according to the internet you can usually tell the females from the males based on if they are dark black or smokey greyish plus they'll have the black "wash" down the front of their legs. If this is so then that would mean I have at least one male and one female. The other is questionable. So I've noticed that the supposed male is getting tail feathers very rapidly but the female is not.

I'd like to know if if this is true because a few of my other chicks are also getting tail feathers very rapidly while one other isn't and I wondered if this might be a hint as to them being males/females

2. draye

draye Overrun With Chickens

Nov 30, 2010
    Arkansas
    I have heard that roosters usually get their tailfeathers first and from observation of my own I think that is usually the case. I have been fooled a time or two though.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2011
  3. KDailey

Jun 27, 2011
    Bronson, Tx
    I figured it made sense for the males to get them first since their tail feathers are more elaborate/long but didn't know for sure. If this is the case then I probably have 3 roos and 2 pullets out of the chicks I got from my neighbor.

20 more chicks will be added tomorrow

4. Brand New Chicken Momma

Brand New Chicken Momma Out Of The Brooder

I've been wondering the same, I have six chicks and one of them has tail feathers that are well under way, but it has always been first to get feathers. It had wing feathers first, then tail feathers started, followed by back and shoulder, all before the other five, I just thought it was a faster grower?! I really have no idea as this is my first experience, it will be interesting to find out!

5. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

No experience with your breeds, but from experience for many years, I can tell you that pullets grow tail feathers faster than cockerals, wing feathers also.........Pop

6. KDailey

Jun 27, 2011
    Bronson, Tx
    hmm that's weird. Male marans chicks are more grey and females are black black with the black wash on their legs so it makes me very confident that one is a male and one is female. And it's the grey one that has the most tail feathers at 1.5 weeks old.

Could it just be the cuckoo marans breed?

7. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Don`t seem to be any "constants" in poultry. Anything is possible........Pop

8. 7&8

7&8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2010
    Maine
    Quote:Pop, oh, wise one, I agree 100%. I'm not experienced like you ([​IMG]), but this is exactly what I'm seeing in this year's chicks - pullets are feathered almost completely, and the cockerels still look like a picked over yard sale. [​IMG]

9. Floridachicken1958

Floridachicken1958 Lost but not forgotten

Jun 10, 2011
    CENTRAL FLORIDA
    Hi Lollipop, Sure glad to see another Floridain, Cause I was wondering same thing the rest cause I have 25 chicks in the brooder that was given to me and never was told if they were roos or pullets. But thanks for the info. [​IMG] Means I have alot of pullets now.

10. turbodog

turbodog Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    Independence, La.
    Quote:This has been my experience with my EE's and Marans also. The roos definitly developed feathering slower than the pullets.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by