male Coturnix living arrangements

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Pineapple, Jul 18, 2016.

1. Pineapple

Pineapple Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2013
    I've read here and there that some people have kept male Coturnix together for long periods of time for various reasons.

I have a group of about 20 birds aged 1 week and I want to let them develop before I decide which male(s) to keep. As they get older and the sex becomes clear I plan to separate out the females and have just males for a few weeks. How risky is this? Will they peck each other or otherwise hurt each other if I have, say, 7 or 8 males together temporarily?

Just looking for others' experiences.

2. DK newbie

DK newbie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2015
    I don't have experiences, but I've been reading this forum for a while and what I read is, if they are raised together and there are no females - some people say they shouldn't even be able to hear the females - then they are unlikely to fight.

3. weirdones

weirdones Out Of The Brooder

Oct 9, 2011
    Greenwood Delaware
    I usually cull unwanted males between 6-8 weeks. At about 6 weeks is when they start picking on each other. If you do separate them keep then out of sight from the females.

4. Pineapple

Pineapple Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2013
    Thanks, y'all. I'm planning on keeping at least one cock so he can breed my hens next spring. But I'd like to have 2 in case one dies, is gay, or otherwise doesn't make babies (haha). If I absolutely need to I guess I could keep two males in their own cages alone beside each other. But that seems...superfluous.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by