male crested duck

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by boyd19043, Nov 28, 2013.

1. boyd19043

boyd19043 New Egg

Nov 17, 2013
    Me and my gf bought mister ducky from a pet store probably7 months ago and raised him form a duckling. Hes been biting us for no reason it started a few weeks ago and quacks aggressively at us. Will he grow out of this?

2. Welshandwhatnot

Welshandwhatnot New Egg

Nov 23, 2013
    Males can become very territorial or mean, and if your sure hes a boy ( the curly tail feathers) then he may not grow out of it. You can always try to handle him more, especially if hes a single duck and does not have other ducks to flock with.

3. boyd19043

boyd19043 New Egg

Nov 17, 2013
    Yea hes got the curly feather. Ill just try to hold him more. Thank you

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Drakes especially can get out of hand as they sexually mature, one reason why it's best if you could get him a friend, they get confused as to what they are and where they fit into the pecking order since they don't have a flock to socialize with which is very important [that's why they are called flock animals] I would suggest you Not hold him more and when he becomes aggressive use tough love to teach him that his behavior is not going to be tolerated does he live outside by himself, If so must be very lonely for him[Again flock animals] even if he stays in the house it's not the same as having another duck or 2 to socialize with. But here is what I had to do with my drake we hand raised because his mama rejected him, Oh he was the sweetest ducklings bonded so precious with my dh and I but when he got around 4-5 months old boy did he get aggressive, if I turned my back on him he would run and jump on me and if I sat down he would do the same, Believe me I was shocked having had ducks for quiet a while but never hand raising one always had mama ducks do this part. So I came here and someone told me to begin to flatten him on his belly when ever he began his aggressive behavior, your not pushing him down so hard your hurting him only to keep him from getting up till he quits struggling. similar to how an adult drake would teach a younger drake to respect him as leader. this isn't a one time thing and you have to be consistent also when Opie would start towards me with that look in his eye, [you begin to pick up on it quick] I would have the broom ready and place it between him and me to stop him in his tracks and it that didn't then I would use the broom to sweep him away. During this time I didn't pick him up and love on him or pet him at all. I talked to him but that's it. I also went and got him 3 ducks of his very own since at that time my older drake had all the girls. lol My drake is now 2.5 yrs old and he is just the best boy, we can pick him up and hug on him and he loves to follow my dh around like a little puppy [I think he thought he was one since we have 4 dogs and he was raised with them] but if he begins his biting and aggressive behavior I just stop petting and walk away from him. It's something that gets better with time but they still need to be reminded of where their place is from time to time. Honestly I really feel it's to hard on a drake especially to live without companions of his own kind, and either get him another duck for company or place him where he would have some. I know this won't make me popular but just the way I see it. I wish you the best whatever you do. But please don't let him continue this way, it's probably one reason so many ducks are dumped at lakes parks and streams yearly. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by