Male Dominance

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by Becky89*, Jun 14, 2008.

1. Becky89*

Becky89* Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2008
    pennsylvania
    I have a pair of two year old pearl Guinea hens and they have been living with my ducks for quite some time now Just today I started hearing fights break out between them and the ducks and I don't know why, everyone has plenty of space with both their fenced in play ground and the gaint 36x 50 coop I keep them in. My Pekings are five years old and older I've been raising them on my own since I was thirteen.

When I went in to do my afternoon barn chores my only Male duck who is a Peking and who is names Domonic had Peck wounds at his eyes. I AM SCARED TO DEATH!!! I don't know how to help him heal. His left I is swollen and his right eye is bearly opened. I am scared someone please help me save my duck. Domonic is like my oldest son and I don't want to lose him.

This is all my fault I am in that barn all day everyday playing with and training my birds so they are more behaved then what they all ready are when we have school groups and tractor tours on the farm , but today I wasn't with them because I started my new job at the local library.

Please someone please help me save my baby boy. I can't lose Domonic he was my first ever male duck to be hatched here on the farm without incubator help.

please Help me

Becky!!!!!

2. SueNH

SueNH Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2007
    Find another pen or home for the guineas. I've had my guineas time and time again single out an individual for torture.

Right now they have an australorp roo that they have pretty much plucked bald. I have no idea why they do it. They seem to pick one, usually another male bird and keep at it day after day.

Give Dominic his own place with a mild mannered girlfriend for company and put some antibiotics in the waterer. He'll probably heal.

Anybody want a bald black roo? He's usually very handsome but is looking pretty sad now.

3. Becky89*

Apr 11, 2008
    pennsylvania
    My mom said that she has terramycin from when her chickens got ill or pecked each other. Do I use terramycin or what other antibiotic is there that I can use cause I didn't know I could use this with the ducks.

How much terramycin do I use in a gallon of water? I don't know how much i should give him. If his girlfriend Dean(named after my best friend Nadean) drinks from the same bucket will the antibiotics harm her?

I don't know what to do anymore with everything happening here its hard to concentrate and my ducks and chickens are all I have that will comfort me.

4. chicken_boy_Kurt

chicken_boy_Kurt Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2008
    You should put something on his eyes. If you have any aloe vera gel that might help a little but you need to get something that will really heal his eyes fast.

5. Becky89*

Apr 11, 2008
    pennsylvania
    okay thank you very much!!!

About the Terramycin again?? how much do I put in a gallon for a duck??

My mom's Terramycin is expired and the expiration date says 7/of 2006 will it still be okay to use? I doubt it but will I still be able to use it? [​IMG] ??

[​IMG] [​IMG]

6. Becky89*

Apr 11, 2008
    pennsylvania
    Please anymore suggestions!!!!

7. Omniskies

Omniskies Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2008
    Missouri
    Don't use outdated medicine. Terramycin is extremely cheap - you can pick up a new bag at the feed store for a few dollars.

Mix one teaspoon of the powder in a gallon of water. Shake it up and give it to him as his drinking water. If that doesn't help up the dosage to two teaspoons. You'll need to give this to him every day for 7-10 days. Don't expect results overnight.

You'll have to keep him away from the Guineas, even when he's better. If you can build a separate pen for your ducks then that'll be your best bet.

Make sure his eyes are clean by using warm water. If you have a cotton swab you can dab peroxide on the worst injuries. Unless you have an eye ointment made specifically for animals (preferrably poultry) then don't put anything in his eyes. Blinding him won't help heal him [​IMG]

If his eyes become infected then look for over-the-counter eye ointment and use as directed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by