1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Male drake, two female ducks, 13 chickens; Is this going to work out?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by MidNight Wings, Jul 30, 2013.

1. MidNight Wings

MidNight Wings Out Of The Brooder

Mar 13, 2013
    California
    So I have 13 chickens, (all hens) that range in size from Large Cochin to OEGB.

I have two female ducks and one drake.

They live together in a 35'-20' run in the day and a 10'-12'-8' house at night. The ducks have a 50 gallon water troft right now but we are digging a hole for a 150 gallon pound.

This seemed fine and dandy to me until I started reading more about drakes and there mating habits with chickens.

My question is, will my flock be able to live with my sisters ducks?

Also, I want to get a Silver laced Cochin roo for 4H, would he be enough to keep the hens safe? ​

2. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Although my numbers are different than yours, I have ducks and drakes in my flock of chickens of all sizes and various breeds, four turkeys and five geese (2 ganders).

As long as your drake has his two ducks, I seriously doubt he will attempt to mount your chickens. The two duck hens may earn bald spots at the back of their heads though.....

Regarding Cochins as okay flock protectors, nobody can say for sure, but the bantam Cochin Roos I had in the past were great and vigilant, feisty fellows willing to protect their girls. Even their BIG girls. ;)

3. MidNight Wings

MidNight Wings Out Of The Brooder

Mar 13, 2013
    California
    Okay, thanks! ^^
    I wanted to get a standard sized rooster cochin, so he'd be VERY big. XD

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by