Male Duck Behavior - Normal?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Khasimir, May 17, 2016.

1. Khasimir

Khasimir Just Hatched

May 17, 2016
    We have 13 Golden 300's, 10 females and 3 males that are nearly a year old. I've noticed this past week the females have some thin spots on the back of their necks, which can only be from when the males, uh, "do their thing" to the female.
    Interestingly enough, one of the males has a tendency to go over to the female that is being stood upon and pecks at her head/neck area as well.

Anyways, are thin spots on the back of the neck fairly normal in season or is this behavior that needs to be more closely monitored?

2. pattyhen

pattyhen Chicks Ducks oh my

Apr 20, 2007
    That is a normal thing. The male ducks hold on to the heads of the females. As long as it dont' become bloody I wouldn't worry about it.

3. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Yes, mating behavior - - - do keep an eye out. Thin spots are one thing, bald spots are another. Sometimes drakes choose a favorite, and her health and even her life can be in danger.

We just don't know when or with whom this will happen. It can be different every spring.

Glad you are taking your role as duck steward seriously. [​IMG]

4. HeatherD42

HeatherD42 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 23, 2016
    I have to separate my drake during breeding season because he bloodies my girls. With multiple drakes you also have to worry about them piling on one duck in the water and drowning her

5. Khasimir

Khasimir Just Hatched

May 17, 2016

Thanks. We've really enjoyed the experience and have recently received a shipment of Welsh Harlequin ducklings to expand our number. [​IMG]

6. Khasimir

Khasimir Just Hatched

May 17, 2016
    This is a good point. I might consider doing this if it gets to the point of where the backs of their necks are a little bloody.

Thanks for the insight everyone!

Last edited: May 18, 2016
  7. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by