Male duck harassing female

Ruby243

Chirping
11 Years
Jan 27, 2013
Hi, I rescued a male duck last summer and got a younger female to keep him company, before rescuing 2 other ex egg laying females. They all got along very well until suddenly the male got very fond of the younger duck. She now will spend the whole day on a rock, as it’s the only place he can’t reach her. If she isn’t on the rock he won’t stop mating her and she clearly is not happy. We can’t really separate as that would mean taking her away from the pond? Do we need to rehome her so she doesn’t live in misery or is there a solution for this? Thanks!

Rehoming her would be an option, but personally I wouldn't want to have that few females for a drake. Usually they need four to six females to help prevent some things like this happening.
But sometimes drakes do pick favorites, regardless of how many females they have to choose from.
I would probably start with getting a few more females to see if he will spread the love a bit more and give her a break.
If that doesn't work, is the drake necessary? If you like your flock of girls, I would lean towards rehoming him. If he has a record for choosing a favorite I would be suspicious of him doing it again in the future.

Rehoming her would be an option, but personally I wouldn't want to have that few females for a drake. Usually they need four to six females to help prevent some things like this happening.
But sometimes drakes do pick favorites, regardless of how many females they have to choose from.
I would probably start with getting a few more females to see if he will spread the love a bit more and give her a break.
If that doesn't work, is the drake necessary? If you like your flock of girls, I would lean towards rehoming him. If he has a record for choosing a favorite I would be suspicious of him doing it again in the future.
I agree 👍🏼

Could you separate him from the girls for a few days. This time of year the hormones are a bit out of control
I just put my two boys on time out giving my girls breaks. Now they are being good again
I put a Removable fencing Between them
I also kept my boys away from my girls at night for weeks with a little fence between them so they could see each other but the girls could rest without being bugged all night.
Or even give her breaks throughout the day by penning him up a few hours a few times a day ?
Adding more girls may or may not work as some drakes fixate on one girl and more matter how many you add his favourite will Always get more attention

Back
Top Bottom