male duck has been outcast

missmitiep

In the Brooder
May 28, 2015
Last night i noticed one of my male ducks being picked on and attacked by another male, they are almost a year old and we have 4 males and only 3 females, we will be getting more females soon but for now he has been banned from the flock, he follows at a safe distance but gets chased away if he gets to close, I am unable to build a separate coop right now as it is winter and there is lots of snow and ice, even if i could build one im worried he wont be able to stay warm on his own, does anyone know to to make a duck diaper using things found around the house? a bathing suit perhaps?!?!?! I am unable to go buy supplies as i am in a remote area. It breaks my heart to see him all alone as they had always been a very bonded flock.
any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
thank you

That's what happens when your male to female ratios are out of sync- I had the same problem (4 males to 5 females). It actually worked itself out and I realized the male that was being bullied was ACTUALLY biting the females when I wasn't looking and the other drakes were put time him back in his place. They're generally pretty happy together now. I just let them work it out and it all ended up ok in my case.

You could try bringing him inside but he might be happy near the other ducks than far away from them. I hope you find something that works for you, and I'm sorry I really couldn't be much help

Yeah, you might try to re-home some of your drakes as well. Multiple drakes in one flock often have issues during breeding season. More females doesn't always solve the problem. It might, but just be prepared for it to not work out as well.

For now though, can you put up a temporary divider fence in your coup? It doesn't need to be anything fancy, just some chicken wire or even some boards to make him a safe haven? It would be best for him to stay out with the other ducks, so maybe give him a female that he is friendly with in his side of the coup for company.

Thank you both,
I will divide the coop today and see how it works out, pretty sure i have some chicken wire hanging around, although he is friendly he really doesn't like it in the house...I don't blame him lol. We were planning a re build of the coop this spring anyways so maybe 2 or 3 coops is better then one.
frow.gif

Back
Top Bottom