Male duck in love with chooks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by oliver22, Nov 14, 2010.

1. oliver22

oliver22 New Egg

Nov 14, 2010
    i have 2 roosters, 5 hens, 1 drake, 1 duck.

How do i stop my 7 year old drake mating with my hen if someone ansers i will add the whole story but i need a solution before she gets killed!!!!!!!!!![​IMG]

2. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    Build a fence or a new pen. Put the chooks on one side or pen- the ducks on/ in the other. If the drake cant get at the hens he cant mate with them. There really isnt way to train him or get him to stop. Separating him is the only way.

3. Mom 2em All

Mom 2em All Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    Southeast Michigan
    Give him away. I had a male runner that would not leave my hens alone- and they were always stressed and running from him. They couldnt enjoy themselves at all- couldnt walk through the yard looking for bugs, nada- he would chase them and mate with them non-stop.
    I gave him away.
    At his new home, he does not bother the chickens at all. [​IMG]

My chickens are much less stressed and are able to mingle in the yard again, with all my other ducks and drakes.

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Seperate them physically or she will be killed or prolapse and need to be killed. The insertion of a drake's penis into a chicken can cause problems.

5. oliver22

oliver22 New Egg

Nov 14, 2010
    well my mum wont let me seperate them in different pens and when my duck stops laying both ducks are gettign the chop, also when "kia" and "Sasha" (the ducks girl friend) stop laying we are getting 2 rhode island red hens and 2 araucanas so should i kill them now or defiatley seperate them and

( he doesnt mate he just, like......um humps her!)

6. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    Why kill them?? You could try to rehome them somewhere first where someone can offer them a duck only home. Its not fair to only kill them becuse of his behaviour. He is only doing what comes naturally to him.

If you bred them with the intention of them being dinner one day that is different- but to kill them only for the behaviour of one seems a little harsh to me. Im sure someone out there would want them if you tried advertising them.

7. oliver22

oliver22 New Egg

Nov 14, 2010
    first of they are acient and i adore them heaps and the duck is quite sick at thge moment so yer

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by