Male duck killed, where to buy one in Southern California

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by 2Myanimals, Jan 5, 2014.

1. 2Myanimals

2Myanimals Out Of The Brooder

Jul 15, 2013
    To my utmost sadness, I found my beautiful male duck whom I have had since a couple of weeks old, was killed. Now I have the mom and 2 of his sisters and I need to find a male duck. Where do I go to get one and any thing I should know about?
    Thanks

2. PolkaDot77

PolkaDot77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2012
    Boise, ID
    I'm sorry! It's always difficult when you loose a member of the flock. I would suggest checking your local craigslist. I have had great success looking on there for both chickens and ducks. Good luck!

3. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    Aww, that's too bad. You don't have to have a male to keep your girls happy, but I would look at a rescue or even an animal shelter. Males are easy to find, usually.

4. 2Myanimals

Jul 15, 2013
    I am told that they are the happiest when there is a male as well. One of the sisters just started laying eggs last week and I wonder if she will continue laying eggs now that the 'boy' is gone. I would love to have ducklings too. I will follow your recommendations on the animal shelter idea. Any ones you know ? I am not far from San Diego and am in OC myself.

5. desertdarlene

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    I will ask around. I know someone in Orange county that does rescues.

6. 2Myanimals

Jul 15, 2013
    That is fantastic. Thank you so much :) I also emailed the local animal shelter inquiring about one or maybe a referral to a shelter that has one.

7. desertdarlene

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    My contact there said she didn't know of any male ducks at any rescues in Orange County, but she did find a young male Indian Runner duck at the Norco shelter. I'm not sure if that's the breed you are looking for. Here is the link for "Stretch".

http://www.adoptapet.com/pet/10132225-norco-california-bird

Also, just a thought, you might want to double-check and improve on the safety of your ducks so it doesn't happen again.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2014
  8. eggs not war

eggs not war Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2013
    I plan a trip to LA in the next few months and I have Perkins - lots of males. Let's talk :)

9. 2Myanimals

Jul 15, 2013
    Okay but hope to have one soon:) My mama duck is not eating :-(

10. desertdarlene

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    What breed are you looking for? Did you check out Stretch?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by