Male duck killed, where to buy one in Southern California

2Myanimals

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jul 15, 2013
To my utmost sadness, I found my beautiful male duck whom I have had since a couple of weeks old, was killed. Now I have the mom and 2 of his sisters and I need to find a male duck. Where do I go to get one and any thing I should know about?
Thanks

I'm sorry! It's always difficult when you loose a member of the flock. I would suggest checking your local craigslist. I have had great success looking on there for both chickens and ducks. Good luck!

Aww, that's too bad. You don't have to have a male to keep your girls happy, but I would look at a rescue or even an animal shelter. Males are easy to find, usually.

I am told that they are the happiest when there is a male as well. One of the sisters just started laying eggs last week and I wonder if she will continue laying eggs now that the 'boy' is gone. I would love to have ducklings too. I will follow your recommendations on the animal shelter idea. Any ones you know ? I am not far from San Diego and am in OC myself.

That is fantastic. Thank you so much :) I also emailed the local animal shelter inquiring about one or maybe a referral to a shelter that has one.

My contact there said she didn't know of any male ducks at any rescues in Orange County, but she did find a young male Indian Runner duck at the Norco shelter. I'm not sure if that's the breed you are looking for. Here is the link for "Stretch".

http://www.adoptapet.com/pet/10132225-norco-california-bird

Also, just a thought, you might want to double-check and improve on the safety of your ducks so it doesn't happen again.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom