Male duck looking yellow and femaie ducks have blackish spots on beak??? Any ideas?!?!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by MrsBeakley, Jul 26, 2014.

1. MrsBeakley

MrsBeakley New Egg

May 31, 2014
    Hi I have 3 adult pekin ducks- 2 females and 1 male. The male has been looking very yellow--- his whole body, especially the stomach area. I know sometimes ducks look yellow when they are molting, and he has been definitely loosing feathers, but this seems to have been going on for several months now. Additionally both of my females have black and bluish spots on their beaks which look sort of like mold. I am concerned about the three of them and didn't know if they needed any sort of treatment or if these were just normal problems.

2. Amykins

Amykins Overrun With Chickens

May 11, 2013
    http://www.metzerfarms.com/FAQ.cfm#BeakSpots

:3 The black spots are totally normal, and commonly appear on egg-laying females. As for the male, my guess is just molting. Unless he has other symptoms, I wouldn't worry.

3. DuckPan

DuckPan Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2014
    Oklahoma Yee Hah
    The yellow should just be the waterproof oil. When ducks are under about 2 years they seem to put a lot of oil all over them. I had the same question about 2 years ago. :D :caf

Last edited: Jul 26, 2014
  4. MrsBeakley

MrsBeakley New Egg

May 31, 2014
    Thanks both replies make me feel better. He is around 3 years old but he seems to be fine other than having the yellow coloring, no weird behavior.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by