Male Ducks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Carolines coop, Jul 19, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Carolines coop

Carolines coop Chirping

Dec 21, 2013
    I have two ducks. I think they are both male.

A green headed mallard and a white one that looks like the Aflac duck.

I have chickens too.

Is this going to work? I was hoping the ducks were female.

Miss Lydia likes this.
  2. Roo5

Roo5 Songster

Feb 17, 2019
    Missouri
    Two males probabaly won’t work,not only will they probably breed each other their likely to breed with their your hens and that will kill the chickens.Beat bet is to get atleast four female ducks or get rid of one the drakes and get two female ducks

FluffTheDuck and Miss Lydia like this.
  3. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

Probably won't work with the chickens. And two males might get sexually frustrated togeather..Even Hen Ducks don't always work with Chickens either.

FluffTheDuck likes this.
  4. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Chicken Lover, Duck Therapist

Mar 11, 2017
    South Park, Colorado, USA
    You can see how it goes. If you have LOTS of space and the chickens have ways to escape the ducks (like high roosts the ducks can't get onto) they *might* be ok. Unfortunately I tend to agree with the others that you are likely going to have potentially serious problems. A male duck with other ducks can be challenging, adding chickens into the mix just compounds it.

5. FluffTheDuck

FluffTheDuck Duck love is recognizable in any language

Nov 26, 2018
    AL
    My Coop
    I first want to say that
    I agree with the others.
    Next, is your mallard is a male if he has a green head. The Aflac duck you are talking about is probably a Pekin(g). Can you post some pictures for me if the Pekins tail, feet, head and bill? This way we can make sure you have two males before you go getting more ducks and most turning out male. It’s always good to make sure :)
    Next, like I said, I agree with the others. Usually, the rule of thumb for drakes is at *least* 2 females per male, like @Roo5 said.
    You can buy or make a duck coop. They sell them at TSC and other farm stores usually. But remember that one duck needs 15 square feet minimum.
    Drakes are known to mate with chickens— although please know that there is NO such thing as a chuck(chicken duck). When the male ducks (drakes) mate with a chicken, they don’t give you chucks, instead, they give you dead chickens.

Good luck!! Keep us posted please.

Miss Lydia likes this.
  6. DuckyBabies

DuckyBabies Songster

Oct 15, 2018
    I have two drakes that get along perfect! They have only had one time where they needed to be separated and it was only for a week. They can get a little moody and want to fight during mating season, so watch for that if you keep them. The only concern here would be to keep them separated from the chickens. If they decided to try and mate them, they could seriously injure them. If you keep them separate from the chickens though, an all drake flock can be done!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: