Male ducks?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by jannakaye, Jul 28, 2014.

1. jannakaye

jannakaye Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2014
    Mississippi
    I have two male ducks (one pekin one ?) housed in the same pen. They were raised together along with a game chick and are getting along fine as of right now, but I'm afraid once they mature, they'll fight. Do I need to separate them? Also the chick cries non-stop when I try to move it to the coop, can it stay with the ducks of will it hurt them or vice versa?

2. Gatsbysmum

Gatsbysmum Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2014
    Alright, so a flock of all male ducks should be just fine. Once they reach about 4 months they may try to mate with objects or eachother, but things usually only get ugly if you throw a female into the mix. I'd keep an eye on them but I wouldn't worry too much. Also, many people keep their ducks and chickens together, so it should be fine.

1 person likes this.
  3. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    The two males will be fine but they do get a little overzealous with mating with things and attacking feet and legs. The males might fight, but as long as they're not drawing out blood or trying to drown each other, they'll be OK. A little fighting is normal and helps alleviate tension. Most of the time, they will be best buddies.

I think the chicken will be OK for now. Ducks sometimes try to mate with chickens, but not always. I would keep an eye on everyone to make sure no one gets hurt.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  4. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    do you know what sex the game chick is? you can run bachelor flocks, usually they are fine...

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by