Male ducks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by htwin1, Feb 11, 2015.

1. htwin1

htwin1 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 11, 2015
    Hello everyone,

Im a first time owner of ducks (tractor supply ducks) and they are about a year old. Iv noticed the male duck are pulling the hair off of the necks of the female ducks.. is this normal? i have 3 males and 3 females. One female just hatched 5 ducklings! Should I try and get rid of the male ducks so i can just have the females produce unfertilized eggs or is that not okay? any help pleas!

2. Kaessa

Kaessa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2015
    Fruita, CO
    If you don't want fertile eggs, you can re-home the drakes. Or, if you want more ducklings, you can keep one drake. 1 drake/3 ducks is a good ratio. Too many drakes (like you have) can lead to over-mating.

3. htwin1

Feb 11, 2015
    Thank you very much! how should i go about re-homing them?

4. Kaessa

Kaessa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2015
    Fruita, CO
    Look and see if you have a local poultry group on Facebook, or try Craigslist? I know our local poultry group on FB is very active with swaps and rehoming.

5. PtJudeRI

PtJudeRI Out Of The Brooder

Aug 22, 2012
    My ducks had the same problem that you are having. The first year I had ducks, I had too many males. They compete and really put a lot of strain on the females. You need to get rid of two of those males, and your problems will be over. Be sure to request they are not to be "freezer pets" if that is your wish.

6. htwin1

Feb 11, 2015
    Thank you everything. I will try Facebook

7. Peekkiinn

Peekkiinn Out Of The Brooder

Nov 20, 2014
    Perth
    I have this problem to, but I have 2 hens and one drake.. is that still not enough hens or should I look to get another ?

8. buff goose guy

buff goose guy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2014
    Mississippi Y'all
    How old is your male the younger they are the more rough they can be, with time comes experience.

9. Peekkiinn

Peekkiinn Out Of The Brooder

Nov 20, 2014
    Perth

He is roughly about 10 months old now, I hope he just dosnt cause them harm !

10. buff goose guy

buff goose guy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2014
    Mississippi Y'all
    when did he sart mateing usually by a year to six months of mateing they learn that they dont have to hurt a female.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by