male ducks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Ashleyponygurl, Mar 5, 2015.

1. Ashleyponygurl

Ashleyponygurl Out Of The Brooder

Mar 4, 2015
    Hello I am going to be incubating and hatching some duck eggs so I won't really have a choice on the sex, what I'm wondering is in a small group of ducks if there is more than one male will they fight like roosters do? Or are they generally OK living together without fighting?

2. LoveThemBirds

LoveThemBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2015
    Petting Buffy Like a Dog
    They will fight,mainly establishing pecking order.If there are less hens,and more males,there will be more outsider drakes.

1 person likes this.
  3. Ashleyponygurl

Mar 4, 2015
    Is it as severe as roosters though? I've seen roosters try to kill each other :\

4. LoveThemBirds

Feb 23, 2015
    Petting Buffy Like a Dog
    If the drakes fight in water,they can killl eachother.They can also choke eachother.

1 person likes this.
  5. LoveThemBirds

Feb 23, 2015
    Petting Buffy Like a Dog
    Most times they just pin eachother,or tuh at eachothers breast area.

1 person likes this.
  6. Ashleyponygurl

Mar 4, 2015
    OK I had 2 male ringneck pheasants as a kid and they had to be separated cuz they would straight bloody each other up and I don't want that to happen with my duckies

7. needlessjunk

needlessjunk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2014
    Round Rock, TX
    The problem isn't really with the drakes hurting eachother. They can get into fights but usually don't. The problem is that they over mate the females. That can cause lots of stress and injure the females pretty badly and if they gang up on one female they could drown her.

2 people like this.
  8. Ashleyponygurl

Mar 4, 2015
    I just hope that I have mostly females then :/

9. needlessjunk

needlessjunk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2014
    Round Rock, TX
    You need about 1 male per 3-5 females. Sometimes it works with 2 females per male but that isn't something I would count on. You could run 2 flocks. An all male flock and an all female flock. Males together do pretty well if there are no females. You could also look into rehoming your extra males. You should not have a problem till your boys get closer to sexual maturity so 5 months give or take.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  10. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I think that last sentence was " you should not have a problem till . . . ."

[​IMG]

I agree with needlessjunk, rehoming - which can be a challenge - or running two flocks may be the way to go. I have had to run two flocks for nearly two years now, one with a drake and two ducks (females), and one with ten ducks. Long, complicated story. They are all great ducks, but it's like X-rated middle school clash of the cliques. Or it was. But this winter something seems to have mellowed. I may only have until mating hormones increase, but hey, I will enjoy the one flock while it lasts.

I got off on a tangent, there, but the point is that two flocks may be an option.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by