male emu sitting on eggs

Discussion in 'Ostriches, Emu, Rheas' started by NickyPick, Dec 23, 2016.

1. NickyPick

NickyPick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2010
    Cypress, TX
    A friend has a male emu that has settled down on some eggs in the wooded section of her property. Given the changing weather we're having (70's one day, rain the next, then 30's, then back up to 70's), she's a little worried about him. He won't be moved. She's going to tarp up a makeshift shelter for him, but are there any tips to get him to eat and drink while he's on broody duty?

2. birdeo

birdeo Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2013
    He won't eat, for the most part , while setting . Just leave some water nearby but not so close it can spill over onto the nest.

3. NickyPick

Sep 18, 2010
    Cypress, TX
    There's nothing to do about that? I know hens will get off the nest briefly every few days to eat and drink. Emus don't?

4. briefvisit

briefvisit Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2013
    The male sits on the eggs. It doesn't eat, drink, or poop. It stands up a coupla times a day, and usually changes direction when it does so. It's hot. It's cold. Emu doesn't care. Doesn't move. Doesn't need a shelter.

You'll find a complete observation diary of a wild emu incubating here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/641934/mating-season-in-australia/80

Here he is. His name is 'Boy Emu': https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/641934/lightbox/post/9561722/id/5293696

5. mich9510

mich9510 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2016
    Southwest PA
    Emus are bad *****!

6. Albanydog

Albanydog Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 22, 2009
    Central Oregon Coast
    I would not worry about him, he knows what he is doing and chose the nesting spot and he is doing exactly what they do in the wild. They do not move or eat much, if at all. They breed at night so it is possible any feeding or drinking he may do is also going to be done at night. They can be very protective of their eggs so I would not get too close. You also do not want to upset him and have him abandon the nest.

Please post again and let us know how everything went!

7. NickyPick

Sep 18, 2010
    Cypress, TX
    Apparently being disturbed isn't an issue with him. He now has bowls of food and water in front of him, a hay nest has been wrapped around him and the eggs, a tarp shelter has been erected and a vet has come out to see his swollen eye. Maybe it's different with the more domesticated emus?

8. briefvisit

briefvisit Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2013
    I betcha they don't eat, drink, or breed at night.

[Immelman made his observations in a German zoo, not in the wild.]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by