1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

male/female help!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by 688peterl, Oct 20, 2009.

1. 688peterl

688peterl Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2009
    im incubating 4 eggs now (started with 6) and it looks to me as though 2 are deffo gonna hatch (maybe all 4 will its my first time hatching im no expert)...

what is the best sex to have? that sounds weird lol i mean is it better to have male or female ducks?

and can i keep mixed sex together?

they are indian runners

2. DuckMamaorBust

DuckMamaorBust Out Of The Brooder

Sep 15, 2009
    Westford, MA
    Wouldn't it depend on what you want from them?

Do you want baby ducklings next spring?
    Do you want only eggs and don't want to deal with ducklings?
    I'm guessing you aren't looking for a duck soup recipe?
    Are you looking for fun pets that eat bugs in your grass?

They're going to be your babies, and at most you are only going to have these 4. Won't you be thrilled with whatever gender they turn out to be?

Good luck! I hope you get all 4 of your babies to hatch!

[​IMG]

3. 688peterl

688peterl Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2009
    Quote:i dont want baby ducklings, im not allowed to have more than 2 ducks but if more than 2 hatch im allowed to keep them all (stupid i know)

i dont even want the eggs there just an added bonus really

yeah im looking for fun pets! but they wont be eating bugs in my grass because i dont have any grass in my garden lol its concrete

4. DuckMamaorBust

DuckMamaorBust Out Of The Brooder

Sep 15, 2009
    Westford, MA
    Well, then in my opinion (which should be taken with a grain of salt since I don't actually HAVE ducks) is that you'd want all boys... all the fun of a duck with no eggs. However, since you get to keep the eggs that hatch... I hope you get all 4! :)

Best of luck to you, honestly. Whatever is in those eggs is already adorable... and yours.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by