male/female percentages in straight run

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by LadyLuck, Mar 18, 2013.

1. LadyLuck

LadyLuck Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2012
    Is there a rule of thumb about how many ducklings I should order in a straight run batch if I want to end up with a certain number of females? I know that this is not an exact science, but is there a generally accepted method?
    I want to order a very small (10 or 12) straight run order, but I need at least 4 female, Do I need to order more than 10?

2. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Have you tried asking where your ordering from? not sure if they'd be honest but worth a shot, i would almost bet it varies. Most of the hatchery here say order more for straight runs for better chances of females lol

The last time i order straight run ducks i got 4 and there were half and half.. two drakes/two ducks.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2013
  3. LadyLuck

LadyLuck Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2012
    I will email and ask if they have have any kind of % they recommend. I did find a hatchery that will sex, but they cost twice as much and I'm just not sure if it is worth the extra money. I only want to keep 3 or 4 and will sell the rest. I am thinking that the extras will sell better as pairs, but then I'm looking at $9 per duckling (my cost) instead of $5.

4. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    Technically, you would get 50/50 if you ordered 100. Your odds are increased with the larger number. BUT, most hatcheries sex their ducklings. They fill the sexed orders first and then fill the straight run orders. So there are many more males when straight run are filled.
    If you are ordering from a hatchery that does NOT sex then your odds are much more likely to get at least some females. In my opinion it is well worth the extra money to order exactly what you want.

Drakes are VERY hard to sell, unless they are a meat breed and you don't mind or won't ask. You may or may not be able to sell them even if you have pairs. I couldn't sell young ducklings when we had to move out of state with short notice. I ended up having to give 10 away for free. So, if you are waiting for straight run to grow, you will be feeding them for at least 5-8 weeks. You will spend far more in feed than the price difference and more than a small order charge.

Go to your state's thread in the "where am I, where are you" forum. You may be able to find someone local to you that has ducklings for sale or someone that may want to split an order. Search Facebook for your state and "poultry" . I was able to find 2 different pages that are strictly poultry (including waterfowl) that allow you to post sale and wanted posts. Also try craigslist, I was able to find some good breeders (chicken and duck) via craigslist. Also found some horror shows but you just need to be particular.

1 person likes this.
  5. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    I've gotten straight run ducklings a few times. I've always ended up with all boys or 1 female. I think I'm a drake magnet [​IMG]

6. Going Quackers

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Ouch, mind you as most know here i hatched out more drakes than ducks lol Who knows what's happened with this clutch [​IMG]

7. Going Quackers

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Its' DEFINITELY worth the extra money. When i started into duck, the breed i chose only came straight run and that was hatchery and breeder. It's taken me a long time to gain the proper ratios. I decided to branch out a little and add a new breed, that said i only went for one i could get sexed(buffs) that way i don't upset the balance.

Unfortunately, my one duck has upset the balance by having a clutch, so i have 4 unknowns that said, if i cannot sell the extra drakes i am prepared and capable of doing a drake flock. Thankfully, there are only 4.

8. ducksinarow

ducksinarow Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    Holderread waterfowl Farm only sells unsexed. They have great prices and the best birds. I would take my chances on them. But I want hookbills next time. Johnson's waterfowl only offer unsexed also. The best prices I have seen is from Schlecht hatchery. They are only $3 a duckling. If you order sexed though you are sure to get what you want.

9. iluvsedward

iluvsedward Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2010
    Calvert county MD
    I ordered 2 females and a straight run, and it turned out to be a boy, which was what I wanted :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by