1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Male/female ratio and mating issues

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Penguinlvrparadise, Jun 26, 2011.

1. Penguinlvrparadise

Penguinlvrparadise Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2011
    Bedford Co PA
    I need some help to decide what to do with my flock. I have 15 ducks total. 4 Pekins (2male/2female), 6 mallards (4male/2female), 5 runners(3male/2 female). I am coming to the conclusion that I am over run with males. So far it has not been a problem but the oldest ducks are just starting to exhibit mating behavior. Right now I have one male Pekin that is out of control. He chases anything that moves boy or girl. He is very rough and doesn't care if he hurts them. I am not sure what to do to protect the rest of the flock. Getting more females is out of the question. I really don't want to get rid of some males but I will if I have to. (Find them good homes not eat them.)
    My Mallards are starting to be interested in each other but they don't seem as rough as the Pekins. They seem to do a courting dance and wait for acceptance. Does anyone with older mallards have any experience with their aggressiveness? If they are not mean to each other I want to keep them all.
    Are all male pekins aggressive maters?
    How about runners? My runners are so sweet. I hate to think of them getting rough with each other.

Please give me some ideas of what to do? Should I just get rid of the one aggressive Pekin and see what happens to the rest?

2. dianaross77

dianaross77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2010
    Grand Blanc, MI
    Unfortunately, that sounds like way too many boys. Even if you get rid of the pekin, you'll probably still have trouble. The maximum number of drakes you'd probably want in 15 ducks would be 3-4, not 7. The boys will probably start fighting and the girls will get overmated.

3. evansacres

evansacres Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2011
    I had two male pekins and two females and this spring one of them became extremely aggressive. I have two little daughters that were so upset about how they were acting and so I decided to get rid of both of them (I sold them). I personally like the look of the rouen ducks and so I went out and bought myself a pair. My rouen male is an absolute gentleman with the ladies. He is always protective and waits patiently while the girls eat and drink and then he eats after them. He is now my only male and I wouldn't dream of bringing in another one. I think you will definitely need to find some homes for them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by