Male Female Ratio

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by ScaredOfShadows, Aug 18, 2010.

1. ScaredOfShadows

ScaredOfShadows Chillin' With My Peeps

Okay so I was just out watching the chickens and guineas and ducks - lol all run amock and got to thinking again about the ratio for male to female with the guineas...How many females to a male? I have 2 established adult pairs (which I heard is a bit odd for guineas to stay in a singular pair? ) that aren't interested in the youngin's except when their female mate is on eggs. Though I have 7 younger ones whom I think is 5 females and 2 males - so I was wondering with at the moment I have my porcelian female on eggs (Why now I don't know - lol) and so her guinea cock mate is driving the youngsters (5 months) nuts and being a great big bully. I am honestly about ready to dispose of the porcelian male because he harasses everything where the 4 yr old pearl male is very easy going and ignores everything else.

So lets see we have I think 7 females and 4 males - should I knock out 2 males and just keep the elder pearl with his woman and then a younger male for the other 6 females?

2. racuda

racuda Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    North Carolina
    I thought 50/50 was ideal, although for several months I had 2 females with 6 males with no major problems, just a little chasing every now and then. You should be fine with what you have. [​IMG]

3. robin416

robin416 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2007
    Guineas pair up, it is very seldom that they will have more than one female as a mate. So no, you're two pairs are not unusual at all. Don't change your current ratio, you need to keep it where it is to keep the flock from focusing on your chickens.

4. ColbyNTX

ColbyNTX Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Woods, TX
    If they free range then you should keep 1 cock per hen if you want your girls to all lay fertile eggs. If they are in coops full time then a cock my breed more than his mate. Guineas do pair up like a married couple.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by