1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Male/Female Ratio

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Country Parson, Dec 28, 2010.

1. Country Parson

Country Parson Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2010
    Bellefontaine, OH
    I just acquired some Courtnix quail. I've noticed that many people keep them in pairs or trios (1 m, 2 f). I have some decent size pens that can handle more than 3 birds. How many females can one male 'handle'? The issue here is fertility of the eggs. With that in mind, what is the maximum number of females I should have per male?

Last edited: Dec 28, 2010
  2. BobwhiteQuailLover

BobwhiteQuailLover Country Girl[IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.

Sep 25, 2010
    Wisconsin
    I like to keep mine in pairs or trios..... but that depends

3. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Quote:BWQL YOU DONT EVEN HAVE COTURNIX! ~~~ YOU'RE DOING IT AGAIN!

TO THE OP MOST PEOPLE DONT KEEP COITURNIX IN PAIRS OR TRIOS--- IT USUALLY QUITE DETRIMENTAL TO THE HENS' HEALTH AS MOST COTURNIX ROOS ARE A LIL OVERLY AMOROUS. THE BEST SEX RATIO IN SOMEWHERE BETWEEN 1:5-8. FIGURE 1 SQ FT OF FLOOR SPACE PER BIRD IN YOUR PEN (MANY WILL DO FINE WITH LESS, BUT THIS IS A SAFE FIGURE IN MOST CASES) MOST GAMEBIRD SPECES DO BEST WITH HAREMS.

A GREAT RESOURCE FOR COTURNIX QUAIL IS LISTED RIGHT HERE AT THE TOP OF THE PAGE IN THE "STICKY SECTION" I BELIEVE ITS LABELED FREQ REQUESTED TOPICS??? CLICK ON THAT THEN CHECK THE "COTURNIX QUAIL BASICS" POSTING--- PRETTY THOUROUGH AND COVERS MOST THINGS A PERSON NEW TO THE SPECES NEEDS TO KNOW

4. BobwhiteQuailLover

Sep 25, 2010
    Wisconsin
    I used to!!
    I just said MOST people keep them in pairs and trios!!!

5. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    Quote:Most people keep them 1 male per 4-5 hens, the more hens the better for the roo. Like JJMR said, the boys get very amorous and you can get a bald hen with pairs.

6. BobwhiteQuailLover

Sep 25, 2010
    Wisconsin
    Sorry

7. Robo

Robo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    Quote:Most people keep them in a small colony cage with one male to 3-8 females. Keep in coturnix in pairs will get you some hurt hens. Some people keep them in quads using smaller breeding pens so they can have certaint colors weight ext.. Coturnix and bobwhites are completely different birds and can't be cared for the same way.

8. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Quote:Most people keep them in a small colony cage with one male to 3-8 females. Keep in coturnix in pairs will get you some hurt hens. Some people keep them in quads using smaller breeding pens so they can have certaint colors weight ext.. Coturnix and bobwhites are completely different birds and can't be cared for the same way.

AMEN

9. greenriver

greenriver Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2010
    Wilmington, Il
    I kept mine Cortunix in a colony with 5 hens to a rooster. Worked very well for fertility.

Anything less than 3 hens to a rooster and the hens get really beat up. Forget pairs.

10. Robo

Robo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    Quote:Unless you rotate stock.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by