Male/Female

Mysticone

Chirping
Nov 30, 2019
Minnesota
Okay, so here is my problem. I need to know if anyone has pet chickens or have seen these behaviors. Today I am going to get a DNA kit for my Chicken Scara/Scarlet who is a Silkie. Now I know it is hard to sex Silkies, so was going to get a DNA kit regardless. However, I was wondering what people thought. See Scara/Scarlet is over 10 months now, never laid an egg, nor has crowed or tried to mount however is showing behaviors that I think are rather odd and male like. Sparkles has been laying since 7 months old so a month now. Scara/Scarlet hasn't had any interest in the nesting boxes, has never squatted, nor chimed in a egg laying song, and has always been the first to try something and shows little fear of most things. Ever since Sparkles started to lay eggs she has been wanting to be pet more, and Scara/Scarlet has wanted to be pet less, and started the same time as the egg laying started. Now Sparkles is broody, and I am nicely trying to break her of that. Scara/Scarlet up to this point has shown no interest in the nesting boxes other then to lay near Sparkles or be around her. Well, I have the nesting boxes blocked at the moment which is making broody Sparkles not to happy. I noticed today when I did that Scara/Scarlet has been trying to get to the nesting boxes, but when I put her/him down there she/he doesn't go in them will either give a low quieter bocky call that sounds like here is a box, and/or just tries to go back up to Sparkles. So put him/her back up, then he/she just wants to go back down to the nesting boxes. Then when Sparkles is sitting on the dumby egg Scara/Scarlet has to sit like right next to her if not partially on top. Though once again Scara/Scarlet has no interest unless Sparkles is down there in that spot. Now, Scara/Scarlet looks like a pullet I thought. I don't notice any waddles, but Sparkles does. I notice Scara/Scarlet is starting to get a bigger comb, but combs can be bigger or smaller on females so I am not going off that. But does anyone have any female Silkies that do that for the top crooks? The pictures I have are of Scara/Scarlet what does everyone think? He/She is 11 months now.

Attachments

• 20200419_131506.jpg
    20200419_131506.jpg
    170.8 KB · Views: 11
  • 20200419_131537.jpg
    20200419_131537.jpg
    205.5 KB · Views: 11
  • 20200419_131134.jpg
    20200419_131134.jpg
    292.3 KB · Views: 11
I don’t know much about Silkies but I couldn’t argue against her being female. She looks like a well rounded pullet. Silkies can just take a lot longer to mature than most other breeds. Each bird is different.

But does anyone have any female Silkies that do that for the top crooks? The pictures I have are of Scara/Scarlet what does everyone think? He/She is 11 months now.
That's a pullet hon! :wee

ETA: if it were a cockerel it would be mating the other lady by now... but ALL physical indicators, along with HER age... are female. Don't spend your $, I bred them for several years. She has no pointy saddle feathers and as mentioned a round crest not a mullet.

Awesome, I figured as much as she looked like one. I just didn't know if behavior wise matched with a female or not. :) Also got 5 Black Australorp Chicks who are soooo adorable too. The little darlings tired themselves out playing with the balls. :D Named them Buttercup, Sugar, Black Berry, Noodles, and Poptart! :) Cause it is nice to be original!

Attachments

• 20200419_141302.jpg
    20200419_141302.jpg
    371.7 KB · Views: 6

Back
Top Bottom