Male Goats...

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by SarahFair, Aug 11, 2011.

1. SarahFair

SarahFair Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2008
    Monroe, Ga
    My male goat has been BUGGING my doe for a couple days.
    Today hes just ...out of control...

She cant get up without him blubbering at her, herding her, sniffing her.. etc
    He has her cornered on a stair right now (shes laying down) and hes just blubbering at her none stop.
    Shes been crying out all day.

Ive had her for almost 2 years now and him about a year and hes never acted this "rash".
    She had a kid early march which he is the father of. He didnt like this last year.

I know its normal for him to tee tee on his legs and such (which I caught him doing [​IMG] ...weird!)
    But having only 1 doe will he still do it when shes not in heat?

Is his insistant actions a sign shes in heat (why isnt she "digging" it if so?) or is this normal for every male to just none stop go after it like that?

Last edited: Aug 11, 2011
  2. HorsebackandHappy

HorsebackandHappy Out Of The Brooder

May 23, 2011
    Some bucks are going into rut already. She may be in heat, or he could just be being silly because of rut. With only one doe he may pester her more than normal. Hopefully he will leave her alone once she is bred. If he is being a real jerk, though, you may need ot seperate them.

3. Chatychick

Chatychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2007
    Blue Mound, Kansas
    Its getting to be Rut season and depending on the type of goat you have she may go into heat alot. He is getting to the breeding age also. I know with my Nigerian Dwarfs they came in every 21 days, year round and with my larger type dairy goats they are in heat about 6 mths of the year. I dont let my bucks run with my does as this will taint the milk and I milk my goats. If you are wanting babies you may be getting some in about 5 mths...if not separate them soon...like now...or neuter him.Also if she is a smaller type goat and he is a larger type goat I wouldnt breed them as it spells disaster. Now if he is a Nigerian and she is a larger type goat its fine you will have what they call Mini type goats. Good luck

4. SarahFair

Sep 23, 2008
    Monroe, Ga
    Hes a pyg (pun intended [​IMG])
    Shes a obehasli mix.

Hes for sure smaller than she is and like I said had a kid by him earlier this year (no problems there)
    Both parents have awesome temperments that they have (so far) passed along to their kid.

He just wont leave her alone [​IMG]
    She shoves him off the porch and he charges right back up blubbering and rubbing her.

5. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    That's normal intact buck behavior. He's in rut.

She may be going into heat, which makes his behavior worse. If you think he is going to hurt her, you need to separate them asap.

If you do not want kids and/or if he is getting really bothersome, get him wethered.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2011
  6. Jasmine1998

Jasmine1998 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2010
    Montgomery County
    He is in rut right now. Our buck just started his rut for the season, but we will keep him away from the does until October when we want him to breed. It does not matter if they are in heat or not, a young buck will still try.

7. SarahFair

Sep 23, 2008
    Monroe, Ga
    He finally bred her today
    [​IMG]
    (baby due January 19, if it takes!)

Will he finally settle down a bit now?
    How long does the rut last?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by