male guinea chaseing leghorn rooster

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by farmerpete, May 3, 2009.

1. farmerpete

farmerpete Out Of The Brooder

May 3, 2009
    S.E Texas
    my male guinea is chaseing my leghorn rooster around the pen and sometimes completely out of the pen. We have seperate pens for our yellow buffs which is 40ft. by 60ft. and another for our leghorns the same size. Our two guineas are range free and roost in our trees. The guinea hen is laying eggs on the ground inside the coop that our leghons roost in. The male guinea chased our yellow buff rooster also, and hes been missing for a month now so we bought another yellow buff rooster. can anyoe tell me why this is happening? I'm afraid the guinea may kill our roosters.

2. erinm

erinm Posting For A change

Feb 24, 2007
    Central Massachusetts
    my guineas were out to kill my chickens when I had them. iread once on here that if you have a big flock of guineas they are more likely to leave the chickens alone? anyone? i ended up eating mine, they were so mean. Erinm

3. swampducks

swampducks Overrun With Guineas

Feb 29, 2008
    Barton City, MI
    As of this morning I had 16 guineas, how many of each gender unknown but I suspect too many males. The last few days the Alpha guinea decided he could attack my hens, other male guineas especially my lone white male guinea.

As of this afternoon he is in the fridge and will be fricassee. The remaining 15 seem to be getting along well for now. I have read elsewhere on BYC that a small flock will be nastier than a larger one. I do believe as well that too many males can be a problem. You may need to get a couple more females to give him more to do. Though it's possible you may just have a mean one.

I am by no means an expert though.

4. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Guineas are like street gangs. If one attacks your rooster, he has to fight them all. Sorry, no answer for your delima. Good luck........Pop

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Guineas are more wild and attack in packs, very unlike chickens. They get some grudge in their head and there's no changing them. I speak as one who had to make a choice between my four guineas or my ten chickens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by