1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Male guinea helping to take care of 3 week old keets...

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by jen1, Aug 12, 2016.

1. jen1

jen1 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2013
    I was just wondering if this is common. I allowed one of my females to hatch out some keets in the bird run. They are a few weeks old now... one of my male guineas wants to be with mom and keets always. If I have the run door locked to keep babies out of the weather or out of dew on grass, he stands at the door until I let him back in. When the run door is open, he takes the keets out. Mom is usually around but sometimes she goes back in and sets on her last 7 eggs. He takes very good care of them. Seems to be teaching them all they need to know about being guineas. Even has them lay down under a trailer next to the run when its hot and leads them to puddles to get drinks. They stay right with him....... just as if he were mom. Anybody else have this happen with a male?

2. pattyhen

pattyhen Chicks Ducks oh my

Apr 20, 2007
    My guineas haven't started laying yet so I'm not experienced with the male taking care of the babies. It sounds like you have a really sweet fellow there. He is deffinately a keeper.

3. mommaguinea

mommaguinea Chillin' With My Peeps

Yes- Guineas have a rep for not being great parents but I have even seen males take on young ones that I have hatched and are just turning out- to "show them the ropes". You are fortunate!

4. yellowjacket

yellowjacket Out Of The Brooder

Sep 5, 2010
    Summerland, BC
    My male guinea is an awesome dad!!

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    It sounds like it. I never knew that about guineas.

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    It sounds like it. I never knew that about guineas.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by