Male Guinea occasionally says "Buckwheat" like a female!

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by TarheelBirdy, Feb 18, 2013.

1. TarheelBirdy

TarheelBirdy Chillin' With My Peeps

A Male! I have heard him do it twice!!! I just about flipped a biscuit.

He is a bit of an outcast. He is three years old, he was part of my very first group of guineas, he is Lavender and the only light-colored guinea that survived predators. However, he has never been accepted by any of the females (always the loner) and now that all my females are penned up, he is out with three other male guineas, but they pick on him - not so much that it's dangerous, but just enough to keep him at a distance.

A couple of weeks ago, Mark and I were working on the pasture and the Rat Pack (the four males that run free) were out there with us. Suddenly I heard "buckwheat, buckwheat, buckwheat" in an unfamiliar guinea-voice. We turned around, and lavendar he-guinea was standing there. Remember....we have NO females free-ranging any more.

Then, this morning, I was feeding the birds, and he did it again, for a few seconds, then went back to being a guy-guinea.

WHAT DOES IT ALL MEAN? [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 18, 2013
  2. Chickenfan4life

Chickenfan4life Overrun With Chickens

Aug 28, 2012
    Planet No
    Yeah, I've heard it before, too: "BUTT CRACK! BUTT CRACK! BUTT CRACK!" It's pretty dadgumn funny! [​IMG]

3. TarheelBirdy

But this is from a MALE guinea!!!!!

4. casuarius

casuarius Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2009
    NC
    How do you know its a male? I have never heard a male make that sound in all the years i've bred Guineas. I have had females that I would have sworn were males, but ended up being females.

5. arcy liger

arcy liger Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2012
    how would you sex adult guineas...

i have two white and they were sexed from the wattles (the turned ones males and stright ones females)
    is that right sexing ......

6. TarheelBirdy

When you have guineas long enough, you can tell by watching their gait, their stance, and by their wattles (they are larger, and are like scoops, where the females' wattles are smaller and lay closer to their face).

Also, this boy does the male "call," usually.

7. PeepsCA

PeepsCA Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2011
    Big Oak Valley, CA

Last edited: Feb 19, 2013
  8. TarheelBirdy

I'll try to get some pics of him/her. He/she is very skittish.

9. arcy liger

arcy liger Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2012
    where are the pics

10. casuarius

casuarius Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2009
    NC
    Exactly. Females make the exact same sounds as males, only males cant make the buck-wheat sound. As far as their physical features, I have had countless females with huge facial wattles, and even large helmets. The only sure way to determine their sex is by the buck-wheat sound or DNA sexing. But then again, you can usually distinguish a male by the way they stand on their tip toes with their wings in the air and prance around in a dominant fashion. I havent personally seen a female ever do this, but I have seen them charge at other hens like a male.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by