Male guinea

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by m&m chickens, Jul 18, 2011.

1. m&m chickens

m&m chickens Out Of The Brooder

Jul 11, 2011
    Hartly
    So we "acquired" 2 keets several weeks back, and turns out one of them is a male. I have 3 roosters, and I heard that male guineas and roo's don't get along??? the keets are about the same age as the roosters, and they were all raised together. There is also a female guinea(same age as the male), and 15 hens of different ages in the mix....is it just a "wait and see"? does anyone have any experiences mixing roo's and guineas??

2. Balefire

Balefire Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Orwigsburg PA
    I'm new to that too. I have ages and 20 chicken and around 5 rooster. I wait what happend. Think if there will be trouble, it would be then next year.
    Think the point is, that the mature males get ugley, when they are not "married". Like in humans life [​IMG]

3. sred98

sred98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    Oklahoma
    I've found that the main trouble is that when the roosters hit puberty, they grab anything with feathers! Including male guineas!! [​IMG] And, let's just say that guineas hold grudges and don't forget things like that! I had to get rid of a rooster because once the guineas got old enough, as soon as one would see him, he'd call all the others and the poor guy had 20 guineas ripping him to shreds! They don't bother my head roo or the girls. They do demand first choice at feeding time, so they charge the chickens and scare them off. But mine roost with the chickens and forage with them.

Since you have a pair of guineas, it shouldn't be a problem. I could see a lone male being more aggressive.

Good luck!

Shelly

4. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady Premium Member

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    I have 4 full grown roosters free ranging with a grown male Guinea. He so far has been fine with the roos and the roos are fine with him.
    I also have about 30 young roosters free ranging, mostly hanging out near the barn and the male Guinea does chase them but I swear the Guinea is having a blast. He and his girlfriend do grab the chickens and pull out feathers when they want at one of the many feed bowls but so far there haven't been any fights what so ever.

5. m&m chickens

m&m chickens Out Of The Brooder

Jul 11, 2011
    Hartly
    Thank you all! So far so good....we're gonna wait and see what happens. These birds are new to me, but I am really enjoying watching them run around. They have a lot of character if you know what I mean. Last week we watched them harass a groundhog and her babies for an hour! Too funny! If all goes well, we might get a few more!

6. PeepsCA

PeepsCA Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2011
    Big Oak Valley, CA
    You'll get some positive feedback about co-mingled flocks on here, but be ready for lots more negative feedback on this subject (specifically male Guineas vs chickens, not just roosters). Usually the Guineas are gettin' the blame, and there's several that post here frequently and insist that the Guineas are the issue every time and always will be. Of course they also think THEIR coop/run/poultry routine/free range time/property set-up indicates their negative outcome/experience will be how it will turn out for everyone. I say BS, but not many listen to me, lol. I know PLENTY of people locally and members that post here with co-mingled flocks that have NO issues, None. Zero.

IMO, if you make sure everybody has plenty of coop space, roosting areas, extra feeders and waterers and as much free range time as possible you definitely CAN have a perfectly happy/peaceful co-mingled flock, even during breeding season. It's been done, it's been proven. You keep everybody locked up in close quarters, and yah you will have aggression issues, with any animal, not just different breeds of poultry.

Best of luck, hopefully it all goes well for your flock [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 25, 2011
  7. livenwpeeps

livenwpeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2011
    King William
    I also have chickens and guineas and have not had one single problem. I also have plenty of room.

8. southern oaks

southern oaks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2011
    Southern Illinois
    [​IMG]
    DECIDE FOR YOUR SELF. A PICTURE SAYS IT MOST FOR ME!!!!!!!!
    As you can see in the picture. I have a buff roo, with a few of my hens, one turkey hen, and 3 of my male guineas all coming for a special treat from my youngest. oh and there is even a couple of blue sweedish ducks that joined. I have never had a major problem. once in a while the guineas will all come around and be pushy. But if i thought they would actally fight each other my young guy would never be on the ground with treats... hope this helps

Last edited: Jul 26, 2011
  9. PeepsCA

PeepsCA Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2011
    Big Oak Valley, CA
    Love love LOVE that pic! [​IMG] Thanks for posting that [​IMG]

Hmm.. now I want some Blue Swedish duckies... lol

10. southern oaks

southern oaks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2011
    Southern Illinois
    Thank you Thank you! And yes we do this everyday. Some are around some are not. But he loves to get them to eat treats out of his pail. Farm boy through and through. he loves to collect eggs and helps me with feeding and watering everyday. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by