Male guineas question

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by Just Wingin It, Nov 20, 2013.

1. Just Wingin It

Just Wingin It Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2013
    centerville texas
    ok, I think after watching youtube videos... im about 90% sure both my guineas are male. they tend to be very quiet with a brief outburst every couple days.... they're the only two..... I also have lotsa female chickens and 2 very young roo's. the guinea fowl were raised with the chickens and never venture away from the herd.

Are they going to fight like competing roosters? will they attempt to mate with the chickens? are they going to fight with my roo's eventually. (the roosters are 5 month old silkies, and the guineas are 3 months old and larger)

2. BarbaraNH

BarbaraNH Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2010
    I don't think there are definite answers to your questions. If both of your guineas are males, they might fight, but it's not likely they will spar as violently as some roosters do. They may not fight at all if there aren't any female guineas to fight for. They might try to mate with your chicken hens (it's not unheard of, although not common); and especially if they are interested in the hens, they might fight with your roosters. But, all of this depends on the individual natures of your guineas and your chickens. As they mature, you should begin to see how your guineas will interact with the rest of the flock. It's nice that they are all getting along so far. I hope it continues that way for you!

3. gguineasfamily

gguineasfamily Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2013
    Brisbane, QLD Australia
    My guinea cocks had their pecking order by then. Yours shouldn't fight too viciously especially if they haven't yet fought and are close. They will fight a bit at least eventually I'm pretty sure but they should always be best friends.

If they do fight, guineas tend to do lots of chasing when they fight. They can run at sprinting speed for a kilometre or so by their 1st birthday. Or at least mine do.

4. ColesCreek

ColesCreek Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2013
    Australia
    Just sex them by the wattles its sooo easy. Sexing by voice is sooooo unreliable and no good breeders in Australia do it

5. CathieG

CathieG Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2013
    How do you do that? I had 2 guineas that have moved into my backyard and want to know what they are (they escaped from the feed store next door, they couldn't catch them, and told me 'Merry Christmas' when I told them they were a my house. We hae been buying horse/chicken feed from her for years..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by