Male guineas?

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by Lothiriel, Mar 22, 2012.

1. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    Can male guineas be aggressive, like roosters can be? We're getting guineas in a week or so and I just had that thought.

2. PeepsCA

PeepsCA Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2011
    Big Oak Valley, CA
    During breeding season some males can/do lose their minds... just too many hormones raging, so they feel the need to take their frustrations out on other birds, be it their own flock of Guineas, or other types of poultry. I've read people post about exceptionally cocky males going after cats and small dogs. Not all do this, but it's better to expect it than to get blind sided by it. Definitely a good idea to have a coop and run to lock them up in if they are being buttheads. As far as being aggressive towards people, it's rare in my flocks and usually only just bluffing/posturing. I've always nipped it in the bud and advanced towards them if they even think about getting cocky with me and that usually takes care of it, they back off. And if that doesn't work then I go for the broom or hose [​IMG] , but that's only had to happen once or twice.

3. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    Thanks, PeepsCA! That's good to know. I'm going to be building a guinea coop, since I already have 12 chickens and 8 more coming later in April. The guineas are coming April 2. They are straight run so I have no idea how many males/females I'm getting, and apparently won't know until they start making the different noises.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by