Male ISA Briwn?

cjweaver13

Chirping
Jun 18, 2021
Northeast Pennsylvania
Got these gals from TSC and from what I've read the pullets should be chestnut colored for red sex linked chicks. There's a couple chicks that have very light, almost buff colored wings so curious if there's a chance they're males? There is some chestnut coloring on their chick down running down the back, but the other chicks have the "normal" patterned wings simar to a rir. I'd assuming hoover should be able to attain near 100% with their sex linked breeds but who knows...

86476777-6024-4608-9C48-8F42C4FDF106.jpeg

Got these gals from TSC and from what I've read the pullets should be chestnut colored for red sex linked chicks. There's a couple chicks that have very light, almost buff colored wings so curious if there's a chance they're males? There is some chestnut coloring on their chick down running down the back, but the other chicks have the "normal" patterned wings simar to a rir. I'd assuming hoover should be able to attain near 100% with their sex linked breeds but who knows...

View attachment 3455363
I don’t know. That ikr may be a boy. @Wyorp Rock @Eggcessive @Kiki @Overo Mare

I can’t say for sure, but my isa browns (sex links) were all that color at that age. That is a tiny comb, so hopefully a pullet, but way too early for sure.

Last edited:
Got these gals from TSC and from what I've read the pullets should be chestnut colored for red sex linked chicks. There's a couple chicks that have very light, almost buff colored wings so curious if there's a chance they're males? There is some chestnut coloring on their chick down running down the back, but the other chicks have the "normal" patterned wings simar to a rir.
If that chick is really an ISA Brown, then it is female. So as long as the chicks were labeled correctly, you have nothing to worry about.

Yes, females hatch with reddish down and males hatch with yellow down.
Then the first feathers in the wings are white for both genders.
By the time they grow up, both genders have both red and white in their feathers, but in different places for males than females. For each gender, some have more white and some have more red, so they do not all look quite alike.

If that chick is really an ISA Brown, then it is female. So as long as the chicks were labeled correctly, you have nothing to worry about.

Yes, females hatch with reddish down and males hatch with yellow down.
Then the first feathers in the wings are white for both genders.
By the time they grow up, both genders have both red and white in their feathers, but in different places for males than females. For each gender, some have more white and some have more red, so they do not all look quite alike.
X2

Back
Top Bottom