Male kitten with bad toilet habits, driving my other cats....

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by gritsar, Nov 3, 2011.

1. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    crazy. Our youngest cat Bug doesn't know how to cover his stuff in the litter box. My two adult female cats are having a fit. They take turns going to the litter box to cover it up for him. I understand that he doesn't cover because he was taken from his mama too soon.

Wondering if he will learn how eventually by watching the other two cats?

2. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Uh oh.

My experience with kitties is that they know this even without mommies - I have hand-raised over 70 abandoned kittens from less than a day old, and almost every one of them covered their stuff. The two who didn't just never did do it. And yes, it did make other cats in the house not very happy. Luckily, I had an excessive coverer during those years, who would go into the litter boxes and rearrange the litter even when NOBODY had used it. She covered everybody's stuff and made the box all pretty ... all the time.

But maybe, maybe, Bug will pick up the habit. [​IMG]

3. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Weird part is, I have seen him go to the bathroom outside. He covers it then. Maybe he's just being a male and likes to have females picking up after him? [​IMG]

4. gryeyes

Yah... probably like leaving the seat up... the next user will put it down if she needs it down.

Darn boys.

5. Highlander

Highlander Tartan Terror

Oct 1, 2008
    Prague
    Doesn't matter in my house, the dogs have it taken care of within seconds! [​IMG]

6. gryeyes

Quote:And that is EXACTLY why I invested in a LitterMaid electronic litter box, which sweeps the box and deposits the solid matter into a closed bin. My two litter munchers - Oooh! Kitty Almond Roca! - were lazy enough to not get to the litter box right away, so the auto-cleaning box solved the problem MOST of the time.

It also solves the problem of lazy boy kitties who don't cover their stuff.

7. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Jax and Kane are trained not to step a foot over the threshold to the bathroom, where the box is located.

I thought about a litter maid, but Kitty is very easily spooked. Four and a half years old and she's still very much a feral cat.

8. Jamie_Dog_Trainer

Jamie_Dog_Trainer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2008
    Washington State
    My Manx cross cat never learned to do this. In fact, after he was turned into an outside cat only, he would leave his "deposites" more like a dog. He'd poo on a concrete slap as fast as he'd poo in a flower bed. Never bothering with covering it. By the way he was away from his Mommy at about three and half weeks old.

9. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I'm not sure of Bug's history before I found him, to know if he was taken from his mama too soon; I'm just guessing that he was. I found him dazed in the road, in the middle of nowhere. We think he might of hitched a ride on someone's vehicle and fell off. I'm trying to teach him house manners.

10. Orchid

Orchid Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    North Central MN
    Cats leave their droppings uncovered as a message to other cats that they are the "dominant" cat. Your females covering it up are telling him, oh no you are not mister. [​IMG]

My oldest male cat covered his droppings when he was the only cat; as soon as a new cat moved in, his stayed on top of the litter and have ever since.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by