Male mallard Ducks Very Violent With Females???

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by stefaniegibbs35, Nov 7, 2008.

1. stefaniegibbs35

stefaniegibbs35 New Egg

Nov 7, 2008
    Missouri
    I have 4 ducks 2 male mallards and 1 white crested and 1 white layer female had them since they were babies great ducks get along never fight..About 7 months old..Just got 2 new ducks 2 days ago 2 female mallards one 7 months one 1 1/2 years..My males are trying to mate them to death...They are going insane! The 2 new ducks have had the feathers pulled out of the neck the boys are tying to drag them around I think they are going to drown them in the water..I have them apart so the males cant get to them but can still see all 4 females..What do I do? They never acted like that with the 2 other females they mate all the time..Never pulled feathers or ever hurt them..Why are they acting like this...Please,Please someone help!!

2. Lophura

Lophura Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    Holden, Missouri
    Quote:It is fairly common behavior with Mallards. They can sometimes be relentless when it comes to mating. There are documented reports of them actually drowning females in the wild when several drakes try to mount one female.

Best thing to do know is to keep them apart and "howdy" them. Allow the hens and drakes to see each other in different pens for a few days and then allow them "mingle" for a few hours before allowing them full access to one another in a couple of weeks.

Best of luck.

Dan

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by