Male Muscovy Flying

Quackattack717

Songster
Sep 4, 2019
Gettysburg, PA
C38518F1-E722-4D76-9F57-9F8133A9D3BF.jpeg
Just wondering if anyone had experience with their Muscovy drake flying? Our muscovies are on the younger side, maybe 3-4 months. So definitely not full grown, but my male wants to fly with his mate. And has successful gotten off the ground up to the top of our fence & even took off from the chair today and made it to the top of the bank. I was just wondering if anyone has a drake that flys or if as he gains more weight & grows he will no longer be able too.

View attachment 1923910 Just wondering if anyone had experience with their Muscovy drake flying? Our muscovies are on the younger side, maybe 3-4 months. So definitely not full grown, but my male wants to fly with his mate. And has successful gotten off the ground up to the top of our fence & even took off from the chair today and made it to the top of the bank. I was just wondering if anyone has a drake that flys or if as he gains more weight & grows he will no longer be able too.
Our 4 month old flew over our chain link fence last weekend. We hadn't clipped him because he is twice the size of our females and everyone said drakes are too big to fly. So we cut one wing.

Our 4 month old flew over our chain link fence last weekend. We hadn't clipped him because he is twice the size of our females and everyone said drakes are too big to fly. So we cut one wing.
We don’t mind them flying, our female flys around the yard. But she never leaves it. I would love for him to be able to fly with her, it’s sad when he flaps his wings and can’t go anywhere. But just this week he started to get off the ground and is able to join her. I think it he’ll be sad if he gets too heavy to do so.

If they’re females, they probably will be able too but you could clip their wings to keep them from flying. We just choose not too because we don’t want to take that away from them. They’re happy in our yard and don’t fly away so it’s not a problem.
If they will stick around I wouldn't mind but I have a kahki that they will be companions for.

If they will stick around I wouldn't mind but I have a kahki that they will be companions for.
I’m no expert. My muscovies were my first ducks and we originally thought they were Pekins. but so far the females hasn’t flown out of our yard. She knows she’s safe, and fed here, and has a warm place to sleep and her mate is here and can’t fly so she’s never gone far. Not sure about other people’s experiences with their flying females.

Back
Top Bottom