1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

male on eggs

Discussion in 'Quail' started by burny, Aug 5, 2014.

1. burny

burny Out Of The Brooder

Jul 17, 2014
    Can a male quail sit on eggs my male seem's intrested, he is in the corner of the his hutch sitting, can't exactly see what he is doing because he has hay over him.Thanks

2. countrygirl14

countrygirl14 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 23, 2013
    both the male and female will pick the nesting spot, but yes Im pretty sure both male and female sit on the eggs. [​IMG] baby quail are the cutest!:)

3. dc3085

dc3085 Chillin' With My Peeps

Not with button quail and some other breeds when it comes to behavior in the wild. Domestically if you get a quail that actually sits on eggs have someone throw you a party because only about 1 in half a million set on eggs far far faaaaar less than that actually hatch them. I have been raising and researching quail for about 5 years and I have seen one example of a coturnix hen that sat her eggs to hatch. I've seen a few button quail do it, but with the way they are being aviary bred these days you can expect that to go away within a few years, as it already has in bobwhites.

4. burny

burny Out Of The Brooder

Jul 17, 2014
    Are chinese quail and button quail the same?

5. GrandmaBird

GrandmaBird Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2012
    Colorado
    button quail in the USA are Blue Breasted Chinese quail. so yes they are the same.

6. Mia Sebastian

Mia Sebastian Out Of The Brooder

Feb 23, 2015
    Tucson Arizona
    I currently have a male Red Tennesse sitting on eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by