Male or Female Button Quail Chicks?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by judithfoster62, Jun 29, 2016.

1. judithfoster62

judithfoster62 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 20, 2009
    Can anyone tell me if these 4 week old chicks are male or female please?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. DK newbie

DK newbie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2015
    1) male
    2) female.. probably.
    3) female.. probably
    4) male
    Last two, I can't tell. Males have rust red feathers around their vent (like 1 and 4) - unless they are white down there (like 6). 5 might have color down there, but I can't tell from the pictures. For 2 and 3, I don't see any red feathers and the rest of their bodies appear to have female coloration, but I recently purchased a male (red feathers around the vent) that is somewhat similar to 3 in color, so I'd check their vents just to be sure. For 6, you will probably have to sex it by behavior.

3. AvicultureGreg

AvicultureGreg Out Of The Brooder

Jul 2, 2015
    Hello! A front view of the first one may be helpful, it looks like a blue-faced mutation. The male blue faces have a bluish color on their breast, and the females have no hint of blue, they are just brownish. The second looks like a golden pearl mutation, at this point it definately looks like a female because the males develop a black and white beard on ther chin. The third looks like a red breast mutation, also definately a female. With the fourth it looks like a tuxedo and I can't be sure, but if there are reddish brown feathers around its vent, it would be a male. With the fifth and sixth, they are white which cannot easily be sexed, but you will know if they lay eggs!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by