Male or Female Chick?

Here is another shot. Try to do a close-up on the feathers which cover his neck and behind, and you'll see what I am calling "striping" in the silvery-blue feathers:

He is not barred. Barring is horizontal not stripping in hackles.

The chick post #39 with spot on head carries a barring gene therefore is male.

Aww, poor baby. He would have had to be re-homed, no doubt, as a male, unless our other rooster had died over the coming winter, which I sure hope he doesn't. Good to know. Thanks, everyone. A sudden death is far easier on those of us remaining than having had to give away a beautiful, vigorous, very tame and loving young rooster who probably would have ended up in the stew pot. And, even worse, as a teen his hormones might have hit, turning him from the tame baby he was into a monster we could not get near. Rest in Peace, Little Cute Spunky Bleu!

looks cockeral(sorta).I've delt with cocks,and mines had already gotten large red combing way before that age eve.

The crowing of multiple roosters would be a big problem here in the city... Neighbors... Also, overmating of my few hens. I did find a home for my two rooster chicks recently. They went to a farm together. I was pleased that they didn't have to be separated or eaten.

Back
Top Bottom