Male or female chick?

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by Wyleiria, Jan 12, 2015.

1. Wyleiria

Wyleiria Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2013
    Texas
    I don't know how to tell and was thinking of buying this. It's about three weeks old[​IMG]

2. AmericanMom

AmericanMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2013
    Oregon
    I don't know anyone here that can sex a turkey that early, some aren't even a sure bet until they are several months old!! Mine were obvious at 4.5 or 5 months and I had Bourbon Reds

3. Wyleiria

Jul 16, 2013
    Texas
    Ok, I know next to nothing about turkey's. I hear they are good pets. I am hoping this one will be easy to tame down and then release with my chickens. They are all very friendly.

4. AmericanMom

Aug 10, 2013
    Oregon
    My turkeys were raised with the chickens, they refuse t be seperated

5. Wyleiria

Jul 16, 2013
    Texas
    Thanks!

6. Wyleiria

Jul 16, 2013
    Texas
    How do you feed turkeys and chickens together? Can they all eat layer feed?

7. AmericanMom

Aug 10, 2013
    Oregon
    I do not use layer feed, the protien levels are not sufficient for the turkeys, I changed the whole flock (I have 50+ chickens and 3 turkeys) onto an all purpose feed and give free choice oyster shells on the side for the layers. I did this mostly because at any time I have not only the turkeys in with the flock but also have differnt ages pullets from day old chicks raised within the flock with a broody to young pullets not ready for layer feed.. It is just a much simpler way of feeding and everyone (even chicks) benifit from the higher protien all purpose feed. I even quit feeding my bitties the chick starter.. Everyone starts and stays on all purpose

8. AmericanMom

Aug 10, 2013
    Oregon
    I have two feeding stations set up within the coop (over 200 square feet) so everyone gets a chance at the feeding table :)

9. Book Em Danno25

Book Em Danno25 Overrun With Chickens

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by