Male or female??? Chicks I'm going to collect in a couple hours!!! need feedback asap

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by purplesquirrel, Feb 5, 2014.

1. purplesquirrel

purplesquirrel Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2013
    Bristol, United Kingdom
    I've been sent photos of 6 chicks for sale, that I am going to choose/collect this evening.
    I asked her to send me photos just so I don't drive all the way there for a bunch of roos that are left over (I don't think she is being dishonest though...)

These are the photos of them:
    She says they are a mix of Buff Sussex, Bluebelle, Rhode Rock and Silver Sussex...

Any feedback would be very much appreciated and I am going to get them this evening!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I like/think it's a hen, the top photo and 5th one (flash has made the eye looks weird)

2. Alaskan

Alaskan The Frosted Flake

Ack! Very tricky!

I know this isn't the exact same breed that you are getting, but some of your chicks have a head spot, so I think it might apply.

http://shop.alaskamillandfeed.com/chicken-feed/

Good luck! Sorry I can't be more helpful!

3. Alaskan

Alaskan The Frosted Flake

Those might be old enough for you to pick females by smallest combs.

4. purplesquirrel

Dec 7, 2013
    Bristol, United Kingdom
    thanks guys, yeh some of them do seem to have smaller combs, but it might be their differences in breeds too. dammit...
    oh well, I'll have to see them in person. thanks lots anyway :)

5. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Its really too young to tell for sure. None look like obvious roosters, but I can't tell with certainty that they are pullets, either.

6. purplesquirrel

Dec 7, 2013
    Bristol, United Kingdom
    I bought 2, I will post photos tomorrow if you like and show you what I got, went for slim legs, smallest/palest combs, advanced wing feathers but it was tricky, God I hope I don't have any more cockerels!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by